You are not logged in.

#176 2009-04-26 19:29:45

haxit
Website

Re: uzbl. A browser that adheres to the unix philosophy.

Is their a way to make the text smaller?

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#177 2009-04-26 19:30:12

dusanx

finferflu wrote:

I've got a suggestion for the hyperlinks, which perhaps it's more like an UI embellishment.
Vimperator, in the current version, lets you pick links by either typing in their number or matching the letters in the link's words.
Both of those options are a bit frustrating for me, first of all because typing numbers is annoying, at least for me, I have to actually look at the keyboard to pick the right ones.
Typing words instead takes too long, especially for links that have verys similar wording. So you have to actually start thinking which word is not contained in the other links you don't want to select, before you can type in the right letters (yes it's as tedious as this sentence is).

So here's the alternative: highlight two or three of the letter of each link, and make them a bit bigger perhaps,

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3775/s … 001rod.png

This would provide a more content-friendly, but at the same time practical way to access links. Because it's much easier to type the letters of a sentece you are reading, even more so when your choice is limited to just a few of them.

This is best idea so far. I like keyboard browsing but numbers can get messy and cover too much of the screen, often overlapping each other.

Gnome -> Openbox -> Awesome -> XMonad -> dwm .
http://github.com/dusanx/uzbl/

#178 2009-04-26 19:58:39

moljac024

dusanx wrote:
finferflu wrote:

I've got a suggestion for the hyperlinks, which perhaps it's more like an UI embellishment.
Vimperator, in the current version, lets you pick links by either typing in their number or matching the letters in the link's words.
Both of those options are a bit frustrating for me, first of all because typing numbers is annoying, at least for me, I have to actually look at the keyboard to pick the right ones.
Typing words instead takes too long, especially for links that have verys similar wording. So you have to actually start thinking which word is not contained in the other links you don't want to select, before you can type in the right letters (yes it's as tedious as this sentence is).

So here's the alternative: highlight two or three of the letter of each link, and make them a bit bigger perhaps,

This would provide a more content-friendly, but at the same time practical way to access links. Because it's much easier to type the letters of a sentece you are reading, even more so when your choice is limited to just a few of them.

This is best idea so far. I like keyboard browsing but numbers can get messy and cover too much of the screen, often overlapping each other.

How is that going to work if there are multiple links with the exact same name ? Especially if they are short names...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#179 2009-04-26 20:05:34

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

moljac024 wrote:
dusanx wrote:
finferflu wrote:

How is that going to work if there are multiple links with the exact same name ? Especially if they are short names...

highlight different characters, i have no clue how it could be solved in a nice way if a site have 200 "click here" links, not that that is common but...

#180 2009-04-26 20:06:48

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

moljac024 wrote:

You make sure that each group of letters is unique. One can switch back to numbers for shorter links (less than 2 letters), but in general it should work fine.

For example if there are two links with the word "house", you get "hOuSe" and then "HoUse", and so on...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#181 2009-04-26 20:10:05

dusanx

finferflu wrote:

For example if there are two links with the word "house", you get "hOuSe" and then "HoUse", and so on...

Still like it smile

#182 2009-04-26 21:01:51

dusanx

haxit wrote:

Is their a way to make the text smaller?

Latest git, + and -. Defined in simplesettings file so you can change keys.
Right now this file must be in current folder where you are when you invoke uzbl.

Edit: not my git, go to main one smile

Last edited by dusanx (2009-04-26 21:03:07)

#183 2009-04-27 01:08:30

bostonvaulter

Hey, I just wanted to add that this project looks awesome! big_smile

However, I am a little confused about what your plans are for the uzblctl program.

I tend to agree with sentientswitch

sentientswitch wrote:

If the idea of one instance per page is being abandoned then yes. I think it'd be nice to use 1 instance/page with a controller application wrapping it up and providing tab functionality, it'd be useful in case of crashes of a single tab for example. The vimp bar/tabs would be in the controller and would interact with each instance via fifo.

I would like to see the uzbl core be kept extremely simple, probably without implementing a whole lot of gui stuff besides a few keyboard shortcuts. I would then like to see the idea of uzblctl expanded, any tab support would go under uzblctl and there could be different versions or something of uzblctl that could be used more like "regular" web browser with tabs, location bars, etc. While the uzbl core could be kept spartan and used by people mentioned before for quick browsing and as a viewer for links from Mutt.

@Dieter@be:
Are you still planning on implementing it like you have mentioned below (and it is still there in the README)?

Dieter@be wrote:

- each instance of uzbl renders 1 page (eg it's a small wrapper around webkit), no tabbing, tab previews, or speed dial things. we have window managers for that.

In summary I think that the idea to use or not to use tabs makes a HUGE difference in the structure of the program. If you use tabs (directly that is, in uzbl core) than it more akin to a light-weight browser, but not really fundamentally different from Firefox or Conkeror. But if you don't implement tabs and isntead rely more heavily on uzblctl than it is much more exciting to me and would seem to be much more flexible.

Also, I love the idea of building the browser around the Vim paradigm since I am an avid user of Vimperator.

Keep up the awesome work big_smile

Edit:
This is from the TODO file

* implement a vimperator-like link following scheme. but let user pick his favorite characters to construct the "link identifiers" with.
* add a keybind to hand the current url to an external scrips, so you can edit it and/or store it in the primary and secondary clipboards

I think that those can both be implemented together via vimperator-like link handling. Vimperator has 3 keys for working with the links displayed on the current page. They are all fairly similar in that they display numbers on the links for you to press. They are as follows.

f: follow the link immediately
F: open the link in a background tab
;: Extended operations, such as yanking the link into the clipboard, or yanking the link text into the clipboard, and many more

Last edited by bostonvaulter (2009-04-27 01:15:42)

#184 2009-04-27 10:29:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

This project is nearly awesome, but someone write some code. I'd like to not see this disappear like many other great ideas. Even if it is a python/ruby/perl functional mockup - a rough working draft is better than mere dreams of perfect c code.

Dreaming about features is fun, but you'll need to start writing to see how realistic some of them even are. Writing a browser is more complicated than merely embedding webkit.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to see this!

#185 2009-04-27 10:46:08

dusanx

iphitus wrote:

This project is nearly awesome, but someone write some code. I'd like to not see this disappear like many other great ideas. Even if it is a python/ruby/perl functional mockup - a rough working draft is better than mere dreams of perfect c code.

Dreaming about features is fun, but you'll need to start writing to see how realistic some of them even are. Writing a browser is more complicated than merely embedding webkit.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to see this!

Thanks smile Check update frequency at http://github.com/Dieterbe/uzbl/network and you will see if we do anything at all wink

#186 2009-04-27 21:35:12

Barrucadu
Website

We've made a lot of progress, and we have a working alpha release and website big_smile
There is a package in the AUR, and instructions for compiling here. Have a look at the git commits and README file for more details smile

#187 2009-04-27 23:55:07

ludovico

Fantastic work!

Are you planning a logo too? And in that case, will it be inspired by Arch?

Sin? What's all this about sin?

#188 2009-04-27 23:56:45

rson451
Website

ludovico wrote:

From the logos I've seen, no.  But I am an outsider so there may be plans I am not aware of.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#189 2009-04-28 01:34:51

HashBox

Amazing! Be sure to include a screenshot of the browser on the site, yes I know there isn't a lot to actually show, but maybe a screenshot involving a couple of terminals and an example of how to externally control it would be great. Screenshots are a sure way to get people interested. Just my opinion. smile

#190 2009-04-28 08:53:43

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

rson451 wrote:
ludovico wrote:

From the logos I've seen, no.  But I am an outsider so there may be plans I am not aware of.

I have asked thorwil, who does artwork for various FOSS projects.  http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/uzbl/

Also, fogobo (or something like that) was going to make a picture of his cat for me, I already have a funny statement in mind I would put on the picture, in true lolcat style lol

Last edited by Dieter@be (2009-04-28 08:54:21)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#191 2009-04-28 17:17:54

Sophotect

can i haz http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html ? and wimpy clicketiclick pointythingy?

#192 2009-04-28 23:39:52

Zariel

great job so far! I was thinking, why dont you use something similar to vimperators input bar to resolve the status bar issues that I read in the README. It can enter URI's vim style, close and only be shown when needed, ie when we press the button or load a page up.

Sorry if this has been suggested allready

#193 2009-04-29 09:27:31

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Zariel wrote:

great job so far! I was thinking, why dont you use something similar to vimperators input bar to resolve the status bar issues that I read in the README. It can enter URI's vim style, close and only be shown when needed, ie when we press the button or load a page up.

which issues? all uri editing is supposed to happen *outside* of uzbl. this is by design.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#194 2009-04-30 00:16:10

timetrap
Website

I just bound mod + g in my xmonad config to launch uzbl onto google. I love it! Keep it coming! (I may need to learn some C when I have the time).

#195 2009-04-30 12:47:46

funktion
Website

looks great, can't wait to give this a try tonight!

the funk soul brother.

#196 2009-04-30 21:59:51

olle

Since the project is a web browser and web browsers have great technology for scripting (JavaScript) i think there should be configuration bindings in said language. Perhaps the whole configuration file could be written in JavaScript, much like AwesomeWM utilizes LUA for its config. To me this is more UNIX like, since the program exposes itself allowing others to communicate/handle it, rather than it parsing and figuring out what to do.

Last edited by olle (2009-04-30 22:04:40)

#197 2009-04-30 23:04:55

rson451
Website

olle wrote:

Since the project is a web browser and web browsers have great technology for scripting (JavaScript) i think there should be configuration bindings in said language. Perhaps the whole configuration file could be written in JavaScript, much like AwesomeWM utilizes LUA for its config. To me this is more UNIX like, since the program exposes itself allowing others to communicate/handle it, rather than it parsing and figuring out what to do.

The unfortunate side effect of this is that people would bitch about having to learn a scripting language to configure a minimalistic browser.  I for one wouldn't mind because I already know javascript quite well, but many users don't want to take the time to learn such a thing for such a small task.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#198 2009-05-01 06:33:19

XFire

Surely JavaScript is not that difficult. If the default values are already there, would it matter?

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#199 2009-05-01 08:18:19

dusanx

Conkeror already supports JS configuration. I don't believe that uzbl will or should go that way.

#200 2009-05-01 10:10:58

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

olle wrote:

Can you give some concrete, practical examples why this would be useful?

4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer