You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-29 01:47:42

guitarMan666

X no longer starts after system upgrade.

I am having a problem on my Intel i845g graphics card.  It also makes some noise about the BO front buffer.  Specifically it says:

Fatal Server Error:
Failed to bind memory for BO front buffer.

I entered

sudo pacman -Syu

to do an upgrade this evening (2009, April 25) and when I exited Fluxbox to reboot, SLiM was missing and I was greeted with the text login prompt.  I proceeded to reboot and when it came back up SLiM was still gone so I logged in and naively tried to run startx which resulted in the errors in my xorg.0.log, http://pastebin.com/m432cf161.  I have also tried the nopat and enable_mtrr_cleanup boot flags both separately and combined.

My XOrg.conf (which is based on one I found on this forum from another user with my card and worked flawlessly until now) is included here http://pastebin.com/d7f238d9a for completeness.

X was giving me crap about files already in the file system (it has been about four days so i forget what files they are).  After scouring the interenet, I found a procedure that said to update the troublesome package first.  So I installed the offending X packages using

sudo pacman -Sf

and then did the upgrade as described above.  Any thoughts?

#2 2009-04-29 01:57:40

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: X no longer starts after system upgrade.

The xf86-video-intel 2.7.0-2 package got accidentally in extra. If you're using that version, run 'pacman -Sy xf86-video-intel' to downgrade to the  2.6.3-4 version.  If  xf86-video-intel 2.6.3-4 is not on your mirror yet, switch temporarily to another mirror or downgrade to 2.6.3-3 (should be in your cache).

#3 2009-04-29 04:01:29

guitarMan666

Re: X no longer starts after system upgrade.

Attempting

pacman -Sy xf86-video-intel

says that 2.6.3-3 is up to date.  No change after reinstalling.  I am however noticing that the XOrg server packages I downloaded were 7.6 or something and the ones slated for download in an attempted (just to list the targets) upgrade tonight were 7.4.

Board footer