You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-27 22:41:05

paranoid

USB modems with Arch before first run of pacman

OK, so. I just started putting AL onto my machine, and ran into an unexpected snag. I've been using Windows for too long, and have gotten rusty so I can't fix this myself. The problem is, I've been using my Motorola v3xx as an ACM modem, and needless to say, when Windows and all its arcane magic went away, the modem was no longer configured correctly. I need to connect to the internet for Pacman to run, so in order to finish installing arch I have to make this work. However, A) I have no clue if AL Core has the necessary tools, and B) If it does, how do I use them? I already have the number and username and password, just need to tell my computer how to use them. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by paranoid (2009-04-29 19:11:33)

#2 2009-04-28 21:47:09

paranoid

Re: USB modems with Arch before first run of pacman

Shameless self-bump. I've fallen off the first page and I am crippled until I have an answer.

#3 2009-04-29 19:11:48

paranoid

Sorry for doing this again but I'm stuck until I get help.

#4 2009-04-29 21:44:41

berbae

Using Google with the search sentence "Motorola v3xx linux driver" I stumbled upon http://tuxoft.de/V3/
among others.
It seems that the mobile phone should be automatically recognized by hal.
To verify that, plug in the phone and look at the end of /var/log/messages.log for the hal log messages.

But after that, you have to establish a connexion using a script or the pppd daemon.
I cannot be more precise as I don't use a mobile phone to connect to internet.
But you have to search with Google to find what others have done on other distributions to have that working.

And if you can buy an Ethernet modem/router, it would be easier to use with linux.

Last edited by berbae (2009-04-29 21:48:39)

Board footer