You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-25 10:22:44

tmadhavan

Moving FROM Gentoo

Ello all, spose none of you remember me, so, hello again!

Just been reading some of that post about people moving to Gentoo etc etc.

Well, just wanted to give my $0.02. I used Gentoo aaaages ago for a while, thought it was pretty fun, compiling everything from scratch seemed a great idea. Then I moved into Arch... wow, the same performance without compiling! Then I moved back to Gentoo again after I borked up my machine (another spontaneous flash of stupidity I guess).

Then I realised, emerge is just not as good as everyone thinks. I mean, sure it can download and install all my latest packages, but do I really want to spend 20 minutes editing config files after an upgrade? NO! So, coupla days ago I just lazily etc-updated, and guess what: one fucked box, again.

So, now I've just installed Arch, got X, OOffice, everything I need downloaded and installed in about 2 hours, AND pacman worked through my proxy without setting it up!

So, to reiterate: Arch kicks Gentoo's silly little level-3-optimisation-from-super-super-SUPER-scratch arse, and it works without any hassle, which means a lot now I have uni work to do.

So, thanks for that, I needed a bit of a rant big_smile

Arch Linux > Gentoo tongue

Thom

#2 2004-11-25 13:34:35

oscar

Re: Moving FROM Gentoo

arch > gentoo

but portage is still very mature, powerfull and great on a server (sorry arch, I run gentoo on my servers)

but still - Arch is freaking great smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#3 2004-11-25 15:43:19

z4ziggy
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

...Arch kicks Gentoo's silly little level-3-optimisation-from-super-super-SUPER-scratch arse...

couldnt say it better myself wink

#4 2004-11-25 21:00:50

kornhole

I would have to agree, I've also switched to arch from gentoo. I'm still more used to emerge, but I think after using pacman more the commands will get to be more second nature. The easier config / setup, and much smaller install times are awesome. Good work arch.

Although I have my doubts about arch on a server, but maybe that's just me. And I must say I am very glad that I did use gentoo, I learned A LOT about linux using that distro, probably the most learning-intensive distro I've used except for LFS.

#5 2004-11-26 11:26:42

tmadhavan

Yeh I agree, I learned loads from Gentoo, and I'm glad it's set up similarly with the rc scripts etc etc, so it's an easy move to Arch.

Yeh emerge is good, portage is huge for a start, and admittedly they have ebuilds for a lot of stuff. But I still prefer pacman I think, quicker, easier, and generally a bit cleaner. Couldn't upgrade my kernel in 2 seconds with Gentoo could I? big_smile

Spose it depends on viewpoint, I'm not bashin Gentoo, it's class.... just doesn't quite hit the spot does it? Heh.

#6 2004-11-30 09:43:00

oscar

where does all this bullshit about learning lots while using gentoo come from? tongue
Gentoo does everything automatic for you - it's like installing tomcat:
the entire procedure consists of typing 'emerge tomcat' - or dnsmasq:
'emerge dnsmasq' and then changing a option that tells for computer what interface dnsmasq should run at.

boys, you learn lot's from using LFS, not gentoo!

on the other hand - when I started using gentoo (it was when 1.4 was beta), you had to learn how stuff worked, since basicly nothing worked in a proper way with portage ^^

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#7 2004-11-30 14:15:16

tmadhavan

So you learned loads from it and no-one else did? OK..... wink

The installation of Gentoo taught me most. The fact I had to f*ck around with it forever also taught me loads. Emerge is one command used to upgrade, hardly does everything for you does it?

Anyway, the truth is I was forced to learn just to make Gentoo work, which isn't a bad thing. And I definitely did learn a lot from Gentoo, even if for every single other user in the world, they learned nothing.

#8 2004-11-30 22:24:11

darkcoder

tmadhavan wrote:

So, coupla days ago I just lazily etc-updated, and guess what: one fucked box, again.

Got the same problem, running now Arch.

tmadhavan wrote:

So, to reiterate: Arch kicks Gentoo's silly little level-3-optimisation-from-super-super-SUPER-scratch arse, and it works without any hassle, which means a lot now I have uni work to do.

Arch feels same speed to me and update in 1/10th less the time than Gentoo.

Board footer