You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-26 16:52:24

hesperidae

Magically disappearing sound.....

Hey all,

Been using arch for a few months now.  Not learning much because I can't seem to
break it!  It just works, yay!  EXCEPT---with my last  --sysupgrade  my sound ceased to work.

All seems to work normally as  root.  But as user i get suggestions to check that-1) Your soudcard is configured properly  2)You have the correct output plugin selected.  3) No other program is blocking the sound card.

I Ran alsaconf (this is how i originally set up sound..) and it seemed quite pleased, said all was well.  Alas, same problem.  Also, can't open my wmix in gnome unless as root.

I'm sure I just managed to hose some permissions or something, just not sure where to look.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hesperidae

#2 2004-11-26 18:57:29

dk

Re: Magically disappearing sound.....

Here is the link to the sound section in the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sound%20%26%20Audio

Also give this a try:

# gpasswd -a username audio

Then add the following to your /etc/devfsd.conf:

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660

#3 2004-11-26 20:21:53

hesperidae

OK,
I feel like an idiot.  Believe it or not i did look around before posting here....

That appears to have solved the issue.  I assume the upgrade had something to do with
that?
I'll keep that handy trick in my hat.

thanx
Hesperidae

#4 2004-11-26 20:54:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

hesperidae wrote:

That appears to have solved the issue.  I assume the upgrade had something to do with
that?

Possibly your devfsd.conf was overwritten by the default configuration when you pacman -Syu'd.  To prevent that, add NoUpgrade = etc/devfsd.conf to your /etc/pacman.conf file.

Dusty

Board footer