You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-27 09:44:10

cb474

Install Go-oo from Testing or AUR?

I just noticed that Go-oo is in the testing repo. I'm not running a testing system. Does it make sense to install Go-oo (if I want to try it) from the testing repo, if I'm not using any other packages from testing? Or would it be better to use the version in AUR?

I guess I'm wondering both which would produce a better working version of Go-oo in my system and which package is being upgraded more consistently?

Also is there any prognosis on when Go-oo might be ready for the extra repo?

Thanks.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-04-27 09:45:00)

#2 2009-04-27 09:55:22

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Install Go-oo from Testing or AUR?

the go-oo pkg from testing is built in extra chroots with the old toolchain. so it's safe to test it out without anything else from testing. the more testing feedback i get the faster we can move this to extra.

#3 2009-04-27 11:38:03

anrxc
Website

As soon as I saw it on the mailing list I just knew you will build it with gstreamer support and now I also see mono as a dep. That's terrible, if it will replace the open office.

Last edited by anrxc (2009-04-27 11:46:11)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#4 2009-04-27 13:21:14

AndyRTR
Developer

That's not terrible. These are wanted and upstream enabled features. But for people like you there's Gentoo's use flag system and we have "abs" for you... wink

#5 2009-04-27 13:59:08

xduugu

It also starts if you do not install mono + gstreamer.
I tried to test what it does if gstreamer is required in a document, but couldn't find any with embedded audio/videos. At least, it doesn't crash if you try to embed multimedia, just complains about an unsupported format and prints "-->com.sun.star.media.Manager_GStreamer uno reference" to sdtout. Possibly, it's save to make mono and gstreamer an optional dependency?

Apart from that, it's a really nice package. Thanks for your work, Andy.

#6 2009-04-27 14:51:47

darie

Indeed nice package!
Yay, now I'm able to embed videos in my presentations. :-) I needed this just a few weeks ago but I wasn't able to do this with the vanilla openoffice.

Is there a way to get this localized? It isn't really a problem but it would be "nice to have" if I could set it to german ;o)

#7 2009-04-27 20:57:12

cb474

Yeah, mono and gstreamer (for better or worse) are part of the go-oo project. I don't really care one way or the other. But it seems in keeping with the Arch philosophy not to modify the upstream project, but to package it as it is designed.

#8 2009-04-27 21:02:12

AndyRTR
Developer

If you can prove that mono and gstreamer are only optional dependencies I'm fine with removing them from the dep array.

For localization just use the vanilla langpack PGBUILDs as proto and change the install path. That should work. I'll try to get as much feedback as possible for go-oo. Let's see where Oracle's OpenOffice will go. We are ready to use the Novell fork tongue

#9 2009-04-27 22:46:41

darie

AndyRTR wrote:

For localization just use the vanilla langpack PGBUILDs as proto and change the install path. That should work.

Thank you, that worked like a charm! :-)

If someone also wants to localize go-openoffice, here is my PKGBUILD:

pkgname=go-openoffice-de
pkgver=3.0.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="OpenOffice.org - german language files for go-oo.org"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('LGPL')
url="http://www.openoffice.org"
makedepends=('rpmextract')
depends=('go-openoffice')
source=(http://ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/3.1.0rc2/OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090427_LinuxIntel_langpack_de.tar.gz)
md5sums=('43151ce886665ef794a939c765ac7d3f')

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}/*native_packed*/RPMS
  for i in *.rpm
    do rpmextract.sh $i
  done

# install openoffice language files
  mkdir -p ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/basis-link
  cp -R opt/openoffice.org/basis3.1/* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/basis-link
  cp -R opt/openoffice.org3/* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/basis-link
  chown root:root -R ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/
}

I just altered the name, pkgdesc, depends, source (there's a newer file online now, the old one doesn't exist anymore), md5sums and the install part of course wink
I don't know if the pkgver is correct (since it is 3.1.0 RC2) but hey, it works! tongue

If someone wants to localize it for another language the only thing you have to do is to change the pkgname, source¹ and md5sums line.
¹: Choose your langpack .tar.gz file from here: http://ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/3.1.0rc2/

Just like the vanilla openoffice you have to install the spell and grammar checker afterwards. The file is located here: /usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/share/extension/install

Thank you very much again Andy. I don't go back to vanilla openoffice smile

EDIT: I also don't really care if you split the mono and gstreamer dependencies into other packages (if that is possible). I would install them anyway tongue
But I don't really get the point why Arch should do this? Openoffice is a fat package, everyone who wants to install knows this... One or two dependencies more don't hurt much in my opinion. So what is bad about mono and/or gstreamer?
I'm very happy with the features like video support since the Java Media Framework (JMF) isn't available for x86_64 :-(
Also vanilla openoffice could be placed in AUR so there's a way you can install it without those dependencies.

Last edited by darie (2009-04-27 23:18:27)

#10 2009-04-28 11:48:24

filoktetes

I've been playing a bit with the go-oo today, and I found two issues. Just now it froze while spell-checking my document (Norwegian). I had just spell-checked it, then I closed the program, restarted it, loaded the document, and then tried to spell check again, then it froze totally (I had to killall -9). I tried the same again, and then everything was fine. I never experienced this with the other ooo.
The other issue isn't that important, the fancy letter drawing (like wordart) doesn't really work well, but no one should ever use that anyway, so maybe it's a nice feature...

#11 2009-04-28 13:54:58

kensai
Website

OK, here are the issues I am having, it is not creating tables, it is opening documents that had tables and displays only the text that was outside tables, but not the tables or any text inside of them. Also, every time I try to open an office 2007 document it says, this is not supported by the operating system.

Anyone can confirm?

Last edited by kensai (2009-04-28 13:55:17)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#12 2009-05-01 10:35:11

cb474

I've installed go-oo now. Strangely it didn't associate openoffice files with go-oo and the menu commands don't launch go-oo, because they're still pointing to the file where openoffice was. Is there anyway to get these all associated properly, without having to go through, edit the application menu, and do it manually? Thanks.

#13 2009-05-01 14:48:57

AndyRTR
Developer

can't confirm this. the menu entries work well in Xfce and also the mimetypes in thunar. what broken desktop/customized menu are you running?

filenames haven't changed:

[andyrtr@workstation64 ~]$ pacman -Ql go-openoffice | grep bin
go-openoffice /usr/bin/
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oobase
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oocalc
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooconfig
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oodraw
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooffice
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oofromtemplate
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooimpress
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oomath
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ootool
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooweb
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oowriter
go-openoffice /usr/bin/soffice
go-openoffice /usr/bin/unopkg

#14 2009-05-01 18:15:16

derelict

cb474 wrote:

Yeah, mono and gstreamer (for better or worse) are part of the go-oo project. I don't really care one way or the other. But it seems in keeping with the Arch philosophy not to modify the upstream project, but to package it as it is designed.

I see your point and would agree with you, but are mono and gstreamer really required for the build? I looked at the go-oo project website and didn't see any indication of this. Parhaps I didn't look hard enough.

As a matter of opinion, I'm not sure what is gained by gstreamer support. I don't find myself embedding media into office documents. It's probably a good thing for those who need it though. On a personal level, I have strong reservations about using mono. It really seems like a mixed bag. Will the vanilla, non-mono version of openoffice be maintained, or should I start experimenting with the PKGBUILD?

#15 2009-05-01 18:47:03

AndyRTR
Developer

Vanilla OOo will stay slack and (probably) maintained. Go-OOo will become the fully featured version.

See http://go-oo.org/discover/ - multimedia and mono support are requested features. But everybody is invited to check of it keeps working when you remove that dependencies. When you prove it to keep working we can move them to optdepends.

BTW: I broke the included pdfimport extension... Will try to fix that in the next build.

#16 2009-05-01 22:38:53

gummibaerchen

Go-OO seems great to me.

Would be awesome to use GStreamer instead of that never-working Java-Multimedia crap.

Thanks for the step.

EDIT: Would it be possible to have both installed? I could imagine Go-OO lacking a few days/weeks/month behind with upstream features, so having both available would do no harm.

Last edited by gummibaerchen (2009-05-01 22:44:37)

#17 2009-05-01 23:43:46

cb474

gummibaerchen wrote:

EDIT: Would it be possible to have both installed? I could imagine Go-OO lacking a few days/weeks/month behind with upstream features, so having both available would do no harm.

I've read, for what it's worth, that these days the release of Go-oo usually isn't more than a couple days behind upstream OOo. And Go-oo also has a history of implementing features that are not yet available in upstream OOo. So it's a bit apples and oranges, but upstream is not always in every sense "ahead" of Go-oo.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-05-01 23:44:06)

#18 2009-05-02 00:01:49

cb474

AndyRTR wrote:

can't confirm this. the menu entries work well in Xfce and also the mimetypes in thunar. what broken desktop/customized menu are you running?

filenames haven't changed:

[andyrtr@workstation64 ~]$ pacman -Ql go-openoffice | grep bin
go-openoffice /usr/bin/
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oobase
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oocalc
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooconfig
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oodraw
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooffice
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oofromtemplate
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooimpress
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oomath
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ootool
go-openoffice /usr/bin/ooweb
go-openoffice /usr/bin/oowriter
go-openoffice /usr/bin/soffice
go-openoffice /usr/bin/unopkg

I'm running Gnome. So it's just the applications menu in Gnome panel that is not launching Go-oo. I get the same output as you for "pacman -Ql go-openoffice | grep bin." So I think Go-oo installed as it is supposed to. Writer launches fine, once I reset .odt documents to open with "OpenOffice.org" instead of with the entry for writer in the Gnome "Open With" dialogue. Still the entries in Applications > Office don't point to the right location for Go-oo. They're still pointing to where OOo was. For example the icon for writer points to:

/opt/openoffice/program/soffice -writer

The only menu entry that works correctly is the icon for just generic "OpenOffice.org," which points to:

ooffice %U

And the entry for for OpenOffice Writer/Web, which Go-oo added and wasn't there before. It points to:

ooweb %U

And, as I said, mimetypes in Nautilus weren't working, because the files seemed to still be set to look for OpenOffice, not Go-oo.

I guess I can just change these settings manually. I'm a little worried if I do this, I'll be missing something. And it does seem like when Go-oo is installed this ought to work automatically. When I installed, I simply ran "pacman -S go-openoffice" and let pacman unintsall OOo when it asked to. Perhaps this problem wouldn't arise if I had completely uninstalled OOo first?

#19 2009-05-02 00:18:17

cb474

Okay, I went ahead a manually edited all the launching commands in Applications > Office to the format "nameofprogram %U" and this works fine, except for "OpenOffice.org 3.0 Printer Administration," which I can't figure out what the command for that is. It had been pointing to "spadmin.bin" in the old OOo location. "spadmin %U" didn't work, nor does pointing it to "/usr/lib/go-openoffice-3.0.99.6/basis3.1/program/spadmin.bin," which doesn't return an error message like the first idea, but also nothing happens.

I'm still wondering if mimetypes are set up correctly .odt and .doc files work okay, after I changed the setting manually on .odt files and changed the launcher commands in the "Open With" dialogue for the Gnome menu.

#20 2009-05-02 01:03:18

kensai
Website

What doesn't work for me, opening a .docx with tables, saving as .doc and opening again displaying tables, it does not display any tables, any file saved in .doc that has table does not display them in go-oo, this worked fine in ooo vanilla.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#21 2009-05-03 01:51:49

cb474

Another bug I'm experiencing in Writer is that I can't spellcheck just a selection of text. If I select some text and hit F7 (for spellcheck) it just starts checking the whole document.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-05-03 01:52:09)

#22 2009-05-03 21:38:34

cb474

Actually I've discovered now what's actually happening is that in documents with footnotes, if I select text and hit F7 rather than spellchecking the selected text it immediately skips to the first footnote. Very weird. If there are not footnotes, spellchecking a selected portion of text works as it should. I also see this behavior in OOo in Debian (which I believe is based on Go-oo). But I don't know if it happens in vanilla OOo.

#23 2009-05-04 19:52:31

pyther
Website

kensai wrote:

OK, here are the issues I am having, it is not creating tables, it is opening documents that had tables and displays only the text that was outside tables, but not the tables or any text inside of them. Also, every time I try to open an office 2007 document it says, this is not supported by the operating system.

Anyone can confirm?

Pick me, pick me!!!

I can confirm this behavior. I had to open a few files up in abiword. I would see this as a major stopper for replacing OOO.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#24 2009-05-04 22:48:46

pyther
Website

I was using impress today and when I went to set the slides to automatically transition after XX seconds the whole side pan grayed out and I couldn't set a time.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#25 2009-05-05 00:14:50

anrxc
Website

OK, here are the issues I am having, it is not creating tables, it is opening documents that had tables and displays only the text that was outside tables, but not the tables or any text inside of them.

Other distributions really replaced OO with this? If it's really this broken, they don't mind as long as they have gstreamer support (who needs tables when you got video)? Where are their users in all this, don't they have documents? Did everyone just switch to vi and text files?

This is really fascinating. Even more so when you think about SLED (SUSE is using it right?) replacing MS Office on workstations, I'm not really feeling it.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer