You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-01 23:32:50

K0tuk

[Solved]Help with printer

Hi!

I`m really frustrated... I never thought that installing printer can be such a paint in the rear...

Ok, now back to the point:

I`m trying to set up my Deskjet 930c on 32 bit Arch through usb. I did everything that Wiki says: installed

cups ghostscript gsfonts hplip and net-snmp

I loaded the module

modprobe usblp

and i see the  that the printer is connected alright

[andy@andy ~]$ dmesg
usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1204

I added the cups and usblp to rc.conf to make sure it is being loaded on startup. I rebooted, and then opened http://localhost:631 in firefox. It allows me to setup the printer, but when it comes to printing the test page, adding users or removing printers i get a Firefox message:

Port Restricted for Security Reasons

This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your protection.

The requested address specified a port (e.g. "mozilla.org:80" for port 80 on mozilla.org) normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. The browser has canceled the request for your protection and security.

When i run gnome-cups-manager i see an error in terminal:

** (gnome-cups-manager:13143): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030

, and when trying to print a test page i get an error:

Ready: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip failed

So i`ve ran

hp-setup

and setup my printer. I can than print a test page.
But when it comes to printing by a usual user, the "print" button in all applications is grayed out/inactive.

Also hp-toolbox is segfaulting all the time...

Also, running a system-config-printer says:

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'server-error-service-unavailable'.

The funny thing is... The only way to print something is to print it to a .pdf file first, and than printing that file.

Any help, please?...

Last edited by K0tuk (2009-05-02 11:19:12)

#2 2009-05-02 04:47:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved]Help with printer

Do you mean this message screen?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70775

If that thread doesn't solve your problem, then there are a bunch more CUPS threads that are less than two weeks old that will.

#3 2009-05-02 09:59:11

Solid1986Snake

#4 2009-05-02 11:18:55

K0tuk

skottish wrote:

Do you mean this message screen?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70775

If that thread doesn't solve your problem, then there are a bunch more CUPS threads that are less than two weeks old that will.

omg! huge thanks, that completely solved my problem... i wasn`t actually concentrating on the firefox error, more on the cups errors that followed... thanks again!

Board footer