You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-30 21:21:17

scorp

[SOLVED] Delayed freeze after suspend on MSI S271

Hello,

I'm absolutely frustrated about an issue on my MSI S271 Notebook. I hope someone can help.

After suspend to mem my Notebook awakes normally again, but when I'm starting programs It freezes badly, after that I can turn it off only by power button. So suspend is practically unusable and I always have to shutdown the notebook instead of just send it to sleep. Before suspend everything is absolutely rock solid. The freeze appears not by every program, but f.e. by PCManFM the notebook freezes always. I thought it could be dbus problem, so I deactivated it before suspend, after that freezes disappeared, so I thought I've found the source of the problem. But after some tests the freeze problem appeared again, so I think successful dbus-solution was just a coincidence, but the real problem is still hidden. May be I should deactivate modules before suspend, but which? There are a lot of!

I'm using pm-suspend, I've tried echo mem > /sys/power/state directly, with the same result. I found nothing in the logs, may be 'cause I don't know what to look for O_o
If someone can help, please write what information I should look for to get closer to the solution.

thx

Last edited by scorp (2009-05-03 11:08:42)

#2 2009-05-01 10:23:11

scorp

Re: [SOLVED] Delayed freeze after suspend on MSI S271

If someone is interested, first of all: don't buy you MSI notebooks!

On the question, why my notebook have (any kind of) problems with Linux, MSI answers we do not support Linux at all. As it seems, they actually don't support anything right. I visited the download site of MSI to check for newest BIOS, and what I've seen there is just embarrassing. The "MegaBook"-Engineers made workaround BIOSes for each Windows version on the market. You can't just remove XP and install Vista, or have both systems on your notebook. You must, ATTENTION: flash a new BIOS! ... yes, for Vista and XP  (may be Win7 there will be own BIOS). I know now, my notebook is a pile of workaround-crap smile

After all, which BIOS is to choose for Linux?! Till now I had the one for XP (Ver 3.38) -> freeze problems. Now I've tested the one for Vista (Ver 7.1A) and freezes are gone, the system awakes after suspend and running for a time quite stable, but after that various components are crashing, one after another, till the system is not usable anymore... is it not awesome?

But now, without the freezes, I can at least look into the logs, so may be I'll find the root of the problem... or should I buy me another notebook?! Hm... hmm

#3 2009-05-03 11:08:23

scorp

Re: [SOLVED] Delayed freeze after suspend on MSI S271

Thanks for the agile help smile

I've found help by myself and want to report it here, in case someone have the same troubles. As I've written, the BIOS Update helped me to see the log files before the freeze and so I could look in /var/log/message.log for the problem, and I found a crash of rfkill module on resume from suspend, which was trying to write uninitialized structure to invalid memory address. This module is needed by a row of other modules for the Ralink RT2500 Wi-Fi. The dependencies are: rt2500pci -> rt2x00pci -> rt2x00lib -> rfkill

So deactivating the modules before suspend helped to solve the freezes.

HowTo:
1) Add/Modify file /etc/pm/config.d/config  (filename is arbitrary)
2) Add/Modify line:
SUSPEND_MODULES="rt2500pci rt2x00cpi rt2x00lib rfkill"

No need to look for new notebook now, I'm happy! smile

Board footer