You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-02 20:53:42

pierce.jason

devtools component makechrootpkg broken with latest kernel upgrade

I've been using makechrootpkg from devtools, inorder to compile packages in a clean buildroot. This tool relys on unionfs to maintain the build root. With the latest stable kernel updates, unionfs has disappeared. I understand that this is inorder to accomodate aufs2. It does not seem that aufs2 provides similar or compatible features as unionfs, atleast not enough for makechrootpkg to function properly.

Is anyone else using makechrootpkg? Did you have to downgrade kernel, or can unionfs be built seperately and live in peace with aufs2(I'm not using aufs2 for anything that I know of). Will the fuse-unionfs from AUR do the trick to get makechrootpkg function, or will this also conflict with aufs2?

How are you guys building clean packages without makechrootpkg?

#2 2009-05-03 06:17:39

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: devtools component makechrootpkg broken with latest kernel upgrade

makechrootpkg needs to be patched to use aufs2 instead of unionfs. To know how, read: http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 11186.html

A fixed devtools will hit the repo eventually. Read the rest of that thread for more info.

#3 2009-05-03 07:28:04

Allan
Pacman
Website

I just replaced makechrootpkg with the version from git.  It fixes that bug and adds a couple of new features...

#4 2009-05-03 20:28:00

pierce.jason

Allan wrote:

I just replaced makechrootpkg with the version from git.  It fixes that bug and adds a couple of new features...

Thats awesome! I'm assuming this went into devtools in testing repo? (or do you mean on your local system?) I had been looking forward to seeing a package with some of the features from git ;D Especially some of the tools for manipulating packages _inside_ the chroot.

Thanks for the great work and quick response fellows!

Last edited by pierce.jason (2009-05-03 20:30:19)

#5 2009-05-03 20:50:35

pierce.jason

Allan wrote:

It fixes that bug ...

On further examination, it appears that the HEAD for makechrootpkg still only is using unionfs.

http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=devtools.git;a=blob;f=makechrootpkg;hb=HEAD#l121 wrote:
 121 grep -Fq unionfs /proc/filesystems
 122 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 123     modprobe -q unionfs
 124     if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 125         echo "ERROR: No unionfs available. Abandon ship!" && exit 1
 126     fi
 127 fi
 128 mount -t unionfs none -o "dirs=$chrootdir/$LAYER=rw:$chrootdir/root=ro" "$uniondir"

By no means take this as a complaint. Just a FYI wink I'll happily patch locally via the directions from arch-dev-public thread.

Thanks again guys!

P.S. I do think I'll still update to the version of makepkg from git though, for those other cool features that have been added big_smile

#6 2009-05-04 02:20:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Ah , I  must have used it from Aaron's git branch.

Board footer