You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 03:53:50

onguarde

Suspend Fails - Not enough Swap Free Space

Peace all!

Pm-suspend generally works fine most of the time. But at times, especially when opening too many applications, it fails unceremoniously. The system doesn't poweroff itself. Upon cutting off the mains and rebooting, no suspend image is found. It seems that the suspend process failed or hung.

Checking through kernel.log, I found this.

kernel: PM: Not enough free swap

Increasing swap size is not possible without repartitioning. So maybe I thought I'd enable compression thing I heard about. Googling about it, I found out compression would bring up the time to resume to up to 1 minute. So that's out.

Another option is to use a swap page file as per this ubuntu tutorial. Everything is well until I got stuck due to incompatibilities in the linux world.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946

Under,

Replace UUID and resume_offset:

The step involves putting some stuff in the following file.

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

The problem is no such directory exist in Arch. Anyone knows of an equivalent? If not, any idea how to achieve the same thing?

Essentially, how to specify where to save the image during suspend. Tell the kernel this info(exactly) when resuming should work as stated thereafter.

The good thing about this method is that you don't have to mess with the partition tables. Sadly, as stated in the last part of the guide, you have to use this both as normal swap and hibernating swap.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by onguarde (2009-05-04 05:00:53)

Board footer