You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-17 15:10:51

ambalex

installation help (with X)

Hi! I've just installed Arch 0.6 on my laptop. I started with the base installation, and everything is running fine.
I installed XFree86 and all dependencies and configured it. Unfortunately, it doesn't find my USB mouse, although everything is ok for the touchpad.
How can I find out if the USB support is being launched when the machine starts? and what to do if not?

How can I edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file in such a way that blackbox will be started when I call upon X (startx)?

thanx

#2 2004-11-17 15:48:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: installation help (with X)

ambalex wrote:

Hi! I've just installed Arch 0.6 on my laptop. I started with the base installation, and everything is running fine.
I installed XFree86 and all dependencies and configured it. Unfortunately, it doesn't find my USB mouse, although everything is ok for the touchpad.
How can I find out if the USB support is being launched when the machine starts? and what to do if not?

How can I edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file in such a way that blackbox will be started when I call upon X (startx)?

thanx

Oi, ok first steps - run "pacman -Syu"... you don't want to use XFree86, you want Xorg.  This will make the file /etc/X11/xorg.config.  Secondly, you do not change anything in the X config file to make a WM start.  Assuming you have xorg.config setup properly, you want to do the following to make blackbox start upon calling "startx"

edit ~/.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh

# programs you want run can go
# here as well... before the exec
# line which should be the last line
exec blackbox

Keep in mind, this will only work with "startx" - running XDM uses a similar concept, but calls the ~/.xsession file... KDM and GDM I can't recall how they do it...

#3 2004-11-17 16:11:03

xerxes2
Website

if you want two mouses(mice??) you need to edit your x config in a way I don't know about but try and search the forum for "usb mouse corepointer" or something similar,
search for all terms,

good luck

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#4 2004-11-18 04:03:30

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Usually you set the touchpad as the CorePointer and set the USB mouse as SendCoreEvents:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Laptop"
    Screen         "Laptop"
    InputDevice    "Touchpad" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

My USB mouse is /dev/input/mice and my touchpad is /dev/psaux.

#5 2004-11-18 11:52:56

ambalex

Thanks for the tips.

I have no available connection at this moment, can i do the

pacman -Syu

setting the installations CD as server (I tried but nothing happened), and will it work for the purpose?

#6 2004-11-18 15:35:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ambalex wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

I have no available connection at this moment, can i do the

pacman -Syu

setting the installations CD as server (I tried but nothing happened), and will it work for the purpose?

ah, ok... I understand.  If you can, try to get the 0.7 install CD with X.org - you can do pacman -Syu on that CD to upgrade... but for now XFree86 will work

#7 2004-11-25 16:51:00

ambalex

this time with alsa.
the laptop on which I installed Archlinux 0.6 is an Asus A2000H, whose soundcard is a Realtek AC97 s/w, compatible with Sound Blaster Pro.
I couldn't find the soundcard on the Alsa database, so i tried with the module of the Sound Blaster Pro, but it didn't work. Then I tried the alsaconf command, but nothing worked neither.

As anybody any hint?

Also, after Alsa module is successfully configured, is that information kept in the system? where? I ask this because I still have to whole system files of my previous linux distribution (Mandrake 10.0 Community)

thanks.

#8 2004-11-25 20:48:40

shlo

no one ever offers the easiest route.

Get hwd (pacman -S hwd) and run it (hwd -s). cd to /etc/X11/ and mv xorg.conf.hwd to xorg.conf. Autoconfig xorg is now yours.

This will also tell you the audio modules to load. hwd rocks.

#9 2004-11-28 16:45:04

ambalex

ok, sound is fixed, thanks to all of you.

Board footer