You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-05 05:28:50

cb474

Still necessary to manually install kernel modules with CUPS?

I'm just setting up my system with CUPS for printing. In the "Configuring CUPS" section of the wiki, you're instructed to install the appropriate kernel module with modprobe for using a usb or parallel port printer. With my usb printer and kernel 2.26.9 I found this is unnecessary. Plugging in the printer caused the module to automatically load. Is this because I'm using input hotplugging? And in any case, should the wiki be edited to reflect situations where loading the module manually is no longer necessary?

#2 2009-05-05 05:58:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Still necessary to manually install kernel modules with CUPS?

Sure, feel free to edit the page to reflect what you're seeing, which is udev autoloading the appropriate module when it detects the device. This functionality has been in place for a long time, and is not related to input hotplugging as used in xorg (not sure if that's what you're referring to above).

#3 2009-05-05 08:44:43

cb474

Re: Still necessary to manually install kernel modules with CUPS?

Do you know, does udev automatically load the module for parallel port printers as well, or just usb? Also is this something only true of kernel 2.26? I don't want to add incorrecting information to the wiki.

Board footer