You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-29 16:59:58

Aletheuo

Best way to upgrade to new mozilla-firefox 1.0 package

Now that the mozilla-firefox 1.0 package is in current, I was just curious as to whether it was better to do a pacman -r mozilla-firefox and then pacman -Sy mozilla-firefox to upgrade or just do a direct pacman upgrade of the mozilla-firefox package via pacman -Syu ?
I know that we do a direct upgrade of all packages with each pacman update, but my firefox has been working good and I wanna double check there hasn't been any problems upgrading.

Thanks,
Craig

Arch Linux (Duke)
JabberID:  cgill27@jabber.org
IRC: Aletheuo
Registered Linux User #354975

#2 2004-11-29 17:12:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Best way to upgrade to new mozilla-firefox 1.0 package

cgill27 wrote:

Now that the mozilla-firefox 1.0 package is in current, I was just curious as to whether it was better to do a pacman -r mozilla-firefox and then pacman -Sy mozilla-firefox to upgrade or just do a direct pacman upgrade of the mozilla-firefox package via pacman -Syu ?
I know that we do a direct upgrade of all packages with each pacman update, but my firefox has been working good and I wanna double check there hasn't been any problems upgrading.

pacman -Syu effectively removes each package it upgrades before it installs the new one, so the commands are equivalent.

If you're worried about the upgraded version not working, keep a copy of the old firefox package so you can install it with pacman -U. THe packages are cached in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.

Dusty

#3 2004-11-29 19:24:09

dp
Website

the best way to upgrade mozilla-firefox is to do pacman -R mozilla-firefox and then pacman -S mozilla  lol

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-11-29 19:41:51

kakabaratruskia

dp wrote:

the best way to upgrade mozilla-firefox is to do pacman -R mozilla-firefox and then pacman -S mozilla  lol

mmm... too abstract for me to understand the smilling emoticon.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#5 2004-11-29 21:02:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:

dp, you're just confusing users!

#6 2004-11-29 22:00:23

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:
dp wrote:

mmm... too abstract for me to understand the smilling emoticon.

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:

dp, you're just confusing users!

very sorry about that ... i didn't see that this is the newbie corner :oops: - my fault

to explain this text in italics: i don't really like firefox, as it is more or less (please, no flames) a handicaped version of mozilla ... and the easiest way to upgrade it would be to install mozilla lol

#7 2004-11-29 22:08:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I never did understand what you meant by that... if you mean by handicapped that firefox doesn't have certain mozilla features (like, say, a full blown mail client, or web composer), I would say that's just reducing bloat... wink

I use firefox because its a bit smaller than mozilla. When you're on dialup, size is important... I'd probably just by using links if it weren't for the fact that I like pretty pictures and colours.

Dusty

#8 2004-11-29 23:14:44

djhizz
Website

[quote="dp
very sorry about that ... i didn't see that this is the newbie corner :oops: - my fault

to explain this text in italics: i don't really like firefox, as it is more or less (please, no flames) a handicaped version of mozilla ... and the easiest way to upgrade it would be to install mozilla lol

and what browser do u like?

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#9 2004-11-30 00:27:53

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:

I never did understand what you meant by that... if you mean by handicapped that firefox doesn't have certain mozilla features (like, say, a full blown mail client, or web composer), I would say that's just reducing bloat... wink

I use firefox because its a bit smaller than mozilla. When you're on dialup, size is important... I'd probably just by using links if it weren't for the fact that I like pretty pictures and colours.

Dusty

if you are on slow connection, size of transfered data matters, but size of client? (maybe i don't understand fully, what you mean)

with "handicaped" i mean: they've taken the rendering engine and the rest and tried to force it to be smaller in size but on the way did some things that are not ideal (xsl, architecture is little bit different (at least 0.9x was), compatibility with plugins, stability (compared to mozilla, when i run firefox, i'm sometimes afraid that it crashes just like that), ...) .... rationally, these arguments are details that are, compared to the much smaller binary, negligible ... subjective, i fear firefox, because it crashed 2 times, when i was presenting some of my products of webdevelopement to other people (of course, here, i should blame Murphy and the presentation effect)

#10 2004-11-30 00:36:43

dp
Website

djhizz wrote:

and what browser do u like?

i use konqueror for the normal surfing (because i use it as well as filemanager + ftp/webdav/... and therfore it is for most of the time in the ram and therefore fast)

for some special sites (like some pages of the intranet at the uni, that uses some funny extensions, only IE or Gecko engines can render) i use mozilla (tried firefox, but it do not like the way, some people use ecmascript (some dhtml stuff that makes the render engine of firefox go crazy))

and if i have to just check time schedule of trains or other things fast, i use elinks

one thing, that is excellent in konqueror is the split-screen thingy: you can in fact open 4 pages side-by-side in one window and speed up your surfing/searching the net (open google, dmoz and clusty in 3 views, use the 4th for results and save this profile as "websearch" ) ... this way, you can read some results, AND wait for the other results to come, at the same time ... it's like using tabs in mozilla, but only a step more confortable, if you get used to it ;-)
8)

#11 2004-11-30 00:43:11

xerxes2
Website

dp wrote:

(of course, here, i should blame Murphy and the presentation effect)

this one is  :oops:

wasn't it bill.g that had a presentation of a "new" os that crashed in front of big crowd and tv and all,  big_smile

and for firefox vs mozilla in stabilitity, maybe moz is just a little more stable but i have crashes with both of them when using plugins streaming news from the net, not often but it happens,

firefox is also copying more and more of mozillas features so they are soon the same browser,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#12 2004-11-30 00:45:54

kakabaratruskia

dp wrote:

I realize... Now I'm almost sure I'm stupid.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#13 2004-11-30 00:47:50

dp
Website

try this with mozilla or IE:

[URL=http://img127.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img127&image=konqi-4up.jpg]konqi-4up.th.jpg[/URL]

8)

#14 2004-11-30 00:52:34

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:
dp wrote:

I realize... Now I'm almost sure I'm stupid.

hmm ... no, you're not ... if someone fails to explain something, it's his fault ... so blame me to not being able to explain it better

#15 2004-11-30 02:55:03

sarah31
Website

geez why is this thread still going?

i would think that the user has firefox up and running so who give two s--ts or p**s about the other stuff. clean this thread up.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#16 2004-11-30 10:40:03

kakabaratruskia

sarah31 wrote:

geez why is this thread still going?

i would think that the user has firefox up and running so who give two s--ts or p**s about the other stuff. clean this thread up.

GROARRRR.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#17 2004-11-30 12:44:18

djhizz
Website

i've had a lot of crashes...but with konqueroe i can not use mplayer-plugin or other plugins that work with mozilla-firefox..

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#18 2004-11-30 13:03:11

dp
Website

djhizz wrote:

i've had a lot of crashes...but with konqueroe i can not use mplayer-plugin or other plugins that work with mozilla-firefox..

install kmplayer ... it should make you play quite anything from konqueror directly

Board footer