You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-05 09:20:27

cb474

move "show your posts" link to top of page

I'd like to suggest that the "show your posts" link be moved, if possible, to the top of the archlinux forum page. I really rely on this link to keep track of threads I've replied to. But I find it a little frustrating that the link is at the bottom of the main page for the forum. This means every time I come to the forum I have to scroll down and find the link. Most other forums I'm on put this link somewhere at the top of the page, which I find to be much more convenient. Thanks for considering the suggestion.

#2 2009-05-05 09:23:31

deej

Re: move "show your posts" link to top of page

Seconded.

Deej

#3 2009-05-05 10:15:46

kljohann

The following userstyle will work for now:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("bbs.archlinux.org") {
  #searchlinks dt + dd + dd + dd + dd a {
    position:absolute;
    right:5px;
    top:5px;
  }
}

#4 2009-05-05 11:38:41

rson451
Website

To be honest, I doubt this is going to happen.  Nitpicks about links have been brought up before and have never been implemented.  I suggest you map a key to scroll all the way to the bottom so you can get there more easily, personally I use vimperator and G does just that.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#5 2009-05-05 20:43:00

cb474

It was just a suggestion. I don't see why that makes it a "nitpick." I don't expect every suggestion I make to be followed. But I assumed the administrators of the forum would at least be open to suggestions. Why is there a forum discussion section otherwise?

And it is striking to me that every single other forum I go to regularly, without exception, puts this link somewhere at the top of the forum index page.

#6 2009-05-05 20:52:12

rson451
Website

I wasn't referring to your suggestion as a nitpick, I was referring to previous ones.  One for instance was to move the "show new posts" away from "mark all posts read" because the user couldn't put their mouse over the correct link before clicking.

--

#7 2009-05-05 20:55:23

brisbin33
Website

rson451 wrote:

...was to move the "show new posts" away from "mark all posts read" because the user couldn't put their mouse over the correct link before clicking.

i've totally done that more than once.  i also second (or third?) the OP's idea for what it's worth.

#8 2009-05-05 21:51:55

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

rson451 wrote:

To be honest, I doubt this is going to happen.  Nitpicks about links have been brought up before and have never been implemented.

Note that this likely isn't just because the admins are 'mean' or 'lazy', but because the forum software is an not 'home rolled'. Any changes made to the codebase would have to be fowarded ported for any update that happens upstream..which is tedious and onerous for the admins, and tends to make updates happen more slowly.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2009-05-05 21:59:48

brisbin33
Website

cactus wrote:
rson451 wrote:

To be honest, I doubt this is going to happen.  Nitpicks about links have been brought up before and have never been implemented.

Note that this likely isn't just because the admins are 'mean' or 'lazy', but because the forum software is an not 'home rolled'. Any changes made to the codebase would have to be fowarded ported for any update that happens upstream..which is tedious and onerous for the admins, and tends to make updates happen more slowly.

you could always head over here to ask.

#10 2009-05-05 23:26:36

rson451
Website

cactus wrote:
rson451 wrote:

OFC.  Certainly not my intent.

--

#11 2009-05-06 00:01:41

cb474

rson451 wrote:

I wasn't referring to your suggestion as a nitpick, I was referring to previous ones.  One for instance was to move the "show new posts" away from "mark all posts read" because the user couldn't put their mouse over the correct link before clicking.

Okay, thanks. I do appeciate the heads up not to hold my breath.

cactus wrote:

Any changes made to the codebase would have to be fowarded ported for any update that happens upstream..which is tedious and onerous for the admins, and tends to make updates happen more slowly.

I appreciate that making changes may not be so simple. But are you sure that it has to happen upstream? I looked at the PunBB forums which brisbin33 links to (who provide the bulletin board for Arch). On their own forum links like "new posts" and "unanswered topics" appear at the top, instead of the bottom as with the Arch forums. Their website also mentions many additional features being available through third-party mods and they have a whole "Mods and Styles" section.

Anyway, I certainly don't know the relative difficulty of changing the forum layout. But I'd think there would be some flexibility, like with blogging software, there's usually not just one upstream layout that you're stuck with. But again, of course, I don't know how difficult changes in the layout actually are with PunBB.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-05-06 00:03:54)

#12 2009-05-06 00:19:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

rson451 wrote:
cactus wrote:
rson451 wrote:

OFC.  Certainly not my intent.

yeah. i didn't mean to imply it was you intent.
I meant it as a more 'note for anyone reading this'.
smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer