You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 05:23:11

XtrmGmr99

[SOLVED] KDE(mod) Network Manger Plasmoid not working?

Hello,

I've finally got my Broadcom wireless working from AUR. I'm able to manually connect to the wireless network (through the console; haven't set up auto-connect yet due to me not fully understanding Network Profiles), yet I haven't been able to find a way to do it graphically through KDE.

I come from Kubuntu, which had the Network Management Plasmoid. It worked fine, other than a few annoying times when KDEwallet failed to start upon login. But since I've moved to Arch Linux, it doesn't seem to work. I've installed KDE through the KDEmod repositories, and I've installed the `kdemod-playground-networkmanager-plasmoid-svn` package that Kubuntu comes with. However, when I go to configure it, the only network type available is VPN -- wired, wireless, mobile broadband, and DSL are all disabled.

I was wondering if anyone has this working. If not, what's another way to connect wirelessly through KDE?

Thanks! smile

EDIT: Oh wait, I've just found the NetworkManager wiki. I may be able to fix this myself tomorrow when I have time to look over the page... I would still appreciate any comments or advise. big_smile

Last edited by XtrmGmr99 (2009-04-17 01:04:25)

#2 2009-04-16 05:46:10

XtrmGmr99

Re: [SOLVED] KDE(mod) Network Manger Plasmoid not working?

Also, I tried installing `networkmanager-plasmoid-svn` from AUR, but it didn't work. It might be because I'm using KDEmod from the Chakra repositories instead of vanilla KDE from the official Arch repositories which the AUR package is most likely for...

This is the command I'm using:

yaourt -S networkmanager-plasmoid-svn

I tried is both with and without sudo.

The error:

[  4%] Built target plasma_applet_networkmanagement_automoc
[  4%] Generating ui_nmConfig.h
Scanning dependencies of target plasma_applet_networkmanagement
[  4%] Building CXX object applet/CMakeFiles/plasma_applet_networkmanagement.dir/plasma_applet_networkmanagement_automoc.o
[  5%] Building CXX object applet/CMakeFiles/plasma_applet_networkmanagement.dir/abstractconnectableitem.o
[  5%] Building CXX object applet/CMakeFiles/plasma_applet_networkmanagement.dir/generalextender.o
/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/networkmanager-plasmoid-svn/src/networkmanager/applet/generalextender.cpp: In member function âvirtual QGraphicsWidget* GeneralExtender::graphicsWidget()â:
/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/networkmanager-plasmoid-svn/src/networkmanager/applet/generalextender.cpp:90: error: âclass Plasma::IconWidgetâ has no member named âsetTextBackgroundColorâ
make[2]: *** [applet/CMakeFiles/plasma_applet_networkmanagement.dir/generalextender.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [applet/CMakeFiles/plasma_applet_networkmanagement.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build networkmanager-plasmoid-svn package.

Also, is it dangerous to run yaourt (or even makepkg) as sudo? I know it not wise to run it as root, but yaourt seems to need root permissions. For example, if I run it without sudo, it gives me a few errors such as:

cp: cannot create regular file `/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/networkmanager-plasmoid-svn/aurpage': Permission denied
cp: omitting directory `./comments'
cp: omitting directory `./pkg'
cp: cannot create regular file `/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/networkmanager-plasmoid-svn/PKGBUILD': Permission denied
cp: omitting directory `./src'
==> Determining latest svn revision...
  -> Version found: 952960
==> Making package: networkmanager-plasmoid-svn 952960-1 x86_64 (Thu Apr 16 01:45:39 EDT 2009)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
==> ERROR: You do not have write permission to store downloads in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/networkmanager-plasmoid-svn.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build networkmanager-plasmoid-svn package.

Last edited by XtrmGmr99 (2009-04-16 05:46:41)

#3 2009-04-16 16:29:59

DarkAdmiral

I always get the same error. Maybe we need kdelibs from trunk?!

I would like to have a good networkmanager for kde4 too.

#4 2009-04-16 17:11:43

Zariel

Im using the one from kdemod playground which works fine, youve followed the setup for network manager on the wiki?

#5 2009-04-17 01:03:38

XtrmGmr99

Zariel wrote:

Im using the one from kdemod playground which works fine, youve followed the setup for network manager on the wiki?

Yes, I was able to read through it earlier today. I got it working. It's still kinda funky, but that's what dev versions are, so I'm not complaining. smile

#6 2009-05-06 06:12:41

carus

Hi

Could you elaborate on what the solution was? I have installed the network-manager-plasmoid-svn via AUR and it finishes (builds?) without errors, but I can not seem to start the plasmoid! I followed the networkmanager wiki.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by carus (2009-05-06 06:16:28)

#7 2009-05-07 00:50:25

XtrmGmr99

My problem was that I didn't add the Network Manager to the deamons.

However, i found NetworkManager to be too unstable. So I'm now using Arch Linux's netcfg, and haven't had any major problem since. smile

#8 2009-05-07 07:36:12

carus

Thanks XtrmGmr99 smile I think I will go for wicd again then - that has been working fine before.

Board footer