You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 21:41:41

kapz
Website

[SOLVED]Updated to Xorg 1.6.1 and the problems started...

Hi all, I upgraded whole system and xorg 1.6.1 got installed...now it wont let me configure it!!! which is so lame roll

I mean I am not sure if everything changed in the way we used to configure X - by modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf

but now there is no such file! my ctrl+alt+bkspace wont work, I cant switch between virtual consoles...:o

The 'xorgconfig' command does not work for me anymore...I tried searching forums and done googling..but got no solutions so far

Any help guyz...or a pointer atleast...really bummed out for the fact that I cant switch consoles and that xorg.conf file gone missing..

Last edited by kapz (2009-05-09 19:36:09)

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

#2 2009-04-16 21:54:56

Rio6000

Re: [SOLVED]Updated to Xorg 1.6.1 and the problems started...

have your tried running "X -configure" as root? and then copying the xorg.conf.new file in the directory to /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

ctrl+alt+backspace is disabled by default, don't know why but you can enable it somehow.

#3 2009-04-17 04:43:15

Mektub

ctrl+alt+backspace is disabled by default, don't know why but you can enable it somehow.

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

will make Ctrl-Alt-Backspace work as before..

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#4 2009-04-17 07:10:06

kapz
Website

Yes I get the code to kill X, but then again where is the file!!

Also I tried but could not generate xorg.conf.new file through Xorg -configure because it requies the x to be killed in order to proceed. Now I cannot switch between terminals to kill X, the only way remains is to go in single user mode and do it...but that is kind of weird...I want to able to switch between consoles and not boot in single user mode for every important operation I need to do...between I am wondering without xorg.conf, HOW X is running all fine!!? I mean did they change the file location or name and everything!

#5 2009-04-17 07:28:30

johnvoisey

I may have a similar if unrelated problem. Halfway through a pacman -Syu update the system started failing to find files (i guess I was unlucky enough to be updating just as mirrors were refreshing). Pacman staretd complaining about dependencies so I figured (!!) the cleanest easiest way to sort this out would be a forced pacman -R followed by a pacman -S xorg when things got less hectic.

I may be dumping arch in frustration soon (!)

So far hwd does not work (and never will again) despite the wiki still recommending it, and all attempts to run Xorgconfig and Xorgcfg give me 'file not found' X -Config has given me a system with a US keyboard and a resolution much higher than the 800x600 I put in xorg.conf and the xkb options are being ignored - which is to be expected if the points in here regarding the obsolescence of xorg.conf are true.

So what should I do ? And as kapz says, WHERE is the conf file that IS being read ?

#6 2009-04-17 07:30:51

TigTex

Here everything works has always: Perfect!.

Tested with nvidia on arch x64 and intel with arch i686.

Try adding the number 3 to the kernel boot option in /boot/grub/menu.lst (after "ro"). Login as root, "pacman -Syu" (also check your mirror status, it may be outdated), do "X -configure" and "mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf".
This has to work... tested it and everything is OK.

ps. if you have a nvidia card, do nvidia-xconfig and it will generate the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

Last edited by TigTex (2009-04-17 07:35:43)

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#7 2009-04-17 08:08:35

kapz
Website

Alright...it seams that the X has some sort of backup xorg.conf file or some kind of default mechanism!...anyways I did X -configure in single user mode and immediatly ran nvidia-xconfig utility...after rebooting the X is reading from xorg.conf file...but I have banged my head over and over to figure out as to why, why I cant change between the consoles..........

To johnvoisey: If you got xorg.conf then you can modify it to suit your needs for keyboard and mouse and monitor resolution, just modify it from /etc/X11/xorg.conf...yeah arch is famous for, u know 'Bleeding Edge' users LOL I just love it... smile

#8 2009-04-17 08:22:16

dcrabs

X is using hal to configure your hardware. The file xorg.conf is not needed any more. Unfortunately, they changed the default for Crtl+Alt+Backspace so that you need the three lines for DontZap. It's a very persistent rumour that an xorg.conf is needed. smile
Btw. if you really want only the few lines from above and there is no file just create one.

#9 2009-04-17 09:16:07

signor_rossi

TigTex wrote:

Here everything works has always: Perfect!.

Tested with nvidia on arch x64 and intel with arch i686.

Try adding the number 3 to the kernel boot option in /boot/grub/menu.lst (after "ro"). Login as root, "pacman -Syu" (also check your mirror status, it may be outdated), do "X -configure" and "mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf".
This has to work... tested it and everything is OK.

ps. if you have a nvidia card, do nvidia-xconfig and it will generate the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

I did exactly as TigTex said and got a working X for my ATI card. smile

@dcrabs
There are situations where you need one. wink Dual monitors for example, you can't do witout the Virtual parameter in most cases.

#10 2009-04-17 13:39:57

SomeGuyDude

kapz wrote:

between I am wondering without xorg.conf, HOW X is running all fine!!? I mean did they change the file location or name and everything!

You don't really need an xorg.conf. I scrapped mine, personally, figuring it's better to let hal handle all that. Although I did put the DontZap thing into an xorg.conf file, but that's all that's in there.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#11 2009-04-17 19:52:54

kapz
Website

@ SomeGuyDude - Yes I do need it, so that I can boot in 1024x768 instead of its default 1280x1024.

Anyways the xorg.conf is working for me indeed..but please someone tell me, point me atleast as in how to switch between virtual consoles???? Dont know what those X developers think but this ain't funny! I want back my virtual console functionality...Its, its just like using Windows(yuk) again.........and having that implemented to linux makes me feel pathetic..........

Now I dont know if its due to X or Arch that I cant switch terminals.

I also tried the code in server flags section in xorg.conf

code
Section ServerFlags

Option "DontVTZap" " false"

end section

BUt still noooo joy sad

#12 2009-04-17 22:05:19

berbae

It's not
Option "DontVTZap" " false"
but
Option "DontVTSwitch"  "false"

This option should already be off default though.

#13 2009-04-18 08:43:38

Mike65

Hy!
i was updated x-server (or just remove the older then install 1.6.1 because i have to replace catalyst to radeonhd and it removed the old xorg.) then i run:
hwd -xa
Testing: kernel (2.6.28-ARCH) supports uevents
Please wait...

No Xserver installed!!

Now when x starts have a white screen (where compiz-icon starts) and my keyboard and mouse dont works.
What can i don now to start at least a console?

#14 2009-04-18 08:51:00

johnvoisey

Ok people, first off, thanks for the replies.

A lot of my problems in getting the initial X display seem to have been down to my decision to add a "vga=773" to the /boot/grub/menu.lst. This machine spends most of its life as a file, mail and web server and I don't use it with a GUI THAT often. I understand the business about HAL providing the info for X to do its job, at least in principle, and yes I have managed to use the X -configure to get a 'basic' xorg.conf file.

However, when I copied that file to /etc/X11 and edited it to include the options I would have expected to give me back a pc105 keyboard with british layout, TRY AS I MIGHT the (expletive deleted) # key is where I want my pound signs and every time I type a @ I get a " and I could go on.

SO it seems (and looking at the log file in /var/log confirms this) a bog standard @startx@ command (yes those SHOULD be quotes but I am getting fed up of backspacing and correcting) ignores /etc/X11/xorg.conf even if it exists.

Anyone got any further ideas ?

#15 2009-04-18 10:09:18

rusty99

What worked for me was to copy

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi

to

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi

Edit it to suit, mine for example is

..snip..
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>
      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">uk</merge>
      <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string">qwerty</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

and then I added the following to ~/.xinitrc

setxkbmap -layout gb &

#16 2009-04-18 21:59:43

kapz
Website

Hi all....thank you for the replies. I tried the code - "DontVTSwitch" "false" as well but didnt work. The funny thing is if I keep pressing the buttons really hard for long enough it works SOMETIMES......Will try and see what rusty99 did...Another thing(Off topic)...can someone please tell me why I cant save files in normal user mode(even though I have added myself to ALL the groups shown in groups section, disk/storage/optical etc. in archwiki except root) it just keeps saying not allowed to save on the disc. Meanwhile will try the code!

#17 2009-04-19 04:33:19

yvonney

The grass is hardly greener anywhere else out there. All distros are having a few issues with new xorg and it's needed growth. best wishes.

#18 2009-04-19 07:28:46

johnvoisey

I agree woth you yvonney, it's an oft revisited tale that pioneers are recognisable by their lying immobile face down on the floor with an arrow in their back. big_smile

Thanks for the details rusty99, they are appreciated.
Today's pacman -Syu is downloading another xorg (!!!) lol so I'll get stuck in with this when that has finished

Last edited by johnvoisey (2009-04-19 07:32:02)

#19 2009-04-19 17:42:50

Joe90
Website

This is what I had to do (if I remember right)

This is on an ancient Dell laptop with 1024x768 max resolution

First install hal and add hal to daemons in /etc/rc.conf (reboot, or restart hal)
Made sure I had xf86-input-evdev installed
Installed the xf86-video-XXXX for my graphics
Add the following line to my ~/.xinitrc, above any exec line you might have (I needed a UK keyboard)

setxkbmap gb &

this got my virtual consoles working
I also installed dbus just for good measure but don't know if this helped or not
can't remember how I knew but input hotplugging was working (this must be hal)

If you really want an xorg.conf then (either as root or I use sudo)

sudo X -configure

but you have lots of configuring to do and the only command you really want it is the DontZap, in order to get CTRL+ALT+BKSPACE
Add this to your xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "DontZap" "false"   #if "false" doesn't work, try "no"
EndSection

I have a blank xorg.conf file apart from the above.

what a palava smile

#20 2009-04-19 21:52:47

kapz
Website

@ rusty99 and joe90 --- I appreciate the help u guyz. But its nott worrkinggg! sad  Help!

I did everything right from modifying xorg.conf(the dontzap and dontvt switch thing) to modifying the /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi file and adding code to .xinitrc file...but its just that I suspect my keyboard is not being detected properly! but its not just in X....I disabled X(from inittab) and did a console login, but the same thing-It wont switch terminals!   I checked almost all the keystrokes and found them to be perfect except the alt key, the alt key works sometimes and it doesnt most of the times, like for eg. I checked in firefox by doing alt+left arrow(go back one page) which does not work! BUT alt+home key works in 2nd go(always!) ...rest ALL the keys work fine, including the Fn keys.....I also did a test in KCalc, I tried to change the shortcut key, so when it asked me for the replacement key I pressed alt(both) and It would not take it! I pressed ctrl key and it recognized it immediately! and I checked all the keys to be working fine there.....What can I do here for the alt keys?

My keyboard is of US layout and it has 111 keys, it has the 2 win-logo keys and a ms-menu key in addition to the normal keys.

Cant believe the problem is with the keyboard ALT keys----( And I checked that the alt key works fine with kubuntu)

#21 2009-04-20 08:04:13

johnvoisey

just wanted to say a quick thank you to rusty99 if I may,

@@@@£££££\\\\~~~~

YIPPEE !!! It works. Many thanks. Hopefully I can return the favour for someone or something else one day !

#22 2009-04-20 08:11:16

Joe90
Website

kapz wrote:

@ rusty99 and joe90 --- I appreciate the help u guyz. But its nott worrkinggg! sad  Help!

I did everything right from modifying xorg.conf(the dontzap and dontvt switch thing) to modifying the /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi file and adding code to .xinitrc file...but its just that I suspect my keyboard is not being detected properly! but its not just in X....I disabled X(from inittab) and did a console login, but the same thing-It wont switch terminals!   I checked almost all the keystrokes and found them to be perfect except the alt key, the alt key works sometimes and it doesnt most of the times, like for eg. I checked in firefox by doing alt+left arrow(go back one page) which does not work! BUT alt+home key works in 2nd go(always!) ...rest ALL the keys work fine, including the Fn keys.....I also did a test in KCalc, I tried to change the shortcut key, so when it asked me for the replacement key I pressed alt(both) and It would not take it! I pressed ctrl key and it recognized it immediately! and I checked all the keys to be working fine there.....What can I do here for the alt keys?

My keyboard is of US layout and it has 111 keys, it has the 2 win-logo keys and a ms-menu key in addition to the normal keys.

Cant believe the problem is with the keyboard ALT keys----( And I checked that the alt key works fine with kubuntu)

Does the ALT key work at the console, and can you switch virtual consoles outside of X?

If not, do you have your KEYMAP set up correctly in /etc/rc.conf? (think for you should be KEYMAP="us")

Other than that have reached the end of my knowledge wink

Last edited by Joe90 (2009-04-20 08:11:40)

#23 2009-05-09 19:35:48

kapz
Website

Problem Solved. The problem was solved from my next thread. Changed the drivers in xorg.conf to default X ones! smile

Thanks for all the help you guys, appreciate it.

Board footer