You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 13:16:37

sultanoswing

Zotero citation manager - error communicating

I've been trying to install Zotero tonight (http://www.zotero.org/) a very nice lookign citation / reference manager.

The latest beta (1.5b.2.1) of Zotero installs and runs fine under Firefox (both Gran Paradiso and 'branded' from yaourt). The OpenOffice plugin (2.02a) installs fine under OpenOffice (both the 3.01 and the 3.1-devel versions). The trouble is, when trying to insert a citation into any Open Office document using the plugin, I get the error "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure firefox is open and try again."

I've followed the advice on the Zotero troubleshooter (http://www.zotero.org/support/word_proc … leshooting) as follows:

If you receive a communication error when attempting to insert a citation into a new, empty document:

1. Make sure Firefox is running and Work Offline mode is not checked in the File menu. You do not need to be online to use Zotero word processor integration, but Firefox's Work Offline mode cannot be enabled.
   2. Check if you get the error using a different bibliography style.
   3. Make sure the Track Changes feature is disabled in Word/OpenOffice, as it is known to cause problems with Zotero integration.
   4. If you are using OpenOffice, make sure the plugin and the required Python components are correctly installed.
   5. Start Zotero with debug output enabled and look for a message in the first 15-20 lines that includes the phrase "integration HTTP server".
          * If you see the message "Not initializing integration HTTP server":
                o Make sure other copies of Firefox/Zotero aren't running on your system (including in other user accounts or in hidden processes). Restarting the computer might help. Advanced users on OS X and Linux could use the netstat tool from a terminal window to check if other applications are bound to port 50001.
          * If you see the message "Integration HTTP server listening on 127.0.0.1:50001":
                Disable any firewall software running on your computer. If this fixes the problem, make sure your firewall is set to allow access to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" (also known as the "loopback interface").
If you don't have or have disabled firewall software, check your computer's proxy settings.

I've checked everything except I;m not sure that python-uno is intalled on Arch (I;m assuming it's part of the python 2.6 package).

I get to "Integration server listening on 127.0.0.1:50001", but aren't sure from there whether this is therefore a problem with my network / hosts file on Arch. There is no network proxy on my system. As noted above I've tried various versions of firefox and open office and the stable and beta versions of zotero, all to no avail. Annoyingly, it is all running 100% on my laptop with Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.

Thoughts????

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#2 2009-05-09 23:46:12

sultanoswing

Re: Zotero citation manager - error communicating

Posting one's own reply and solution - I'm sure that's a road to blindness....

...aaaaanyway. I got Zotero (1.5b2) communicating and working with OpenOffice, but it required the installation of the go-openoffice version from [extra], rather than openoffice-base or openoffice-base--devel.

I'm not sure what the difference was, but I suspect this was some sort of python-uno problem, which is provided by mono (which is included in go-openoffice).

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

Board footer