You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-03 19:53:30

imrehg
Website

[SOLVED] Rhythmbox: Unable to activate plugin Audio CD Recorder

Hi,

I'm trying to use Rhythmbox on my EeePC. The laptop not surprisingly does not have an optical drive. When I'm starting Rythmbox, I always get an error:

Plugin Error: Unable to activate plugin Audio CD Recorder

I tried the obvious: check the Edit/Plugins tab, but couldn't see any Audio CD Recorder plugin at all... Does anyone have a hint how to get rid of this message? It's pretty annoying every time when I start the program.
  Cheers!

Last edited by imrehg (2009-05-11 03:25:58)

#2 2009-05-05 02:47:00

dismal_denizen
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Rhythmbox: Unable to activate plugin Audio CD Recorder

I am having the same problem. It seems like some dependency is missing (maybe Brasero)?

#3 2009-05-05 02:53:36

imrehg
Website

well, since I don't have a CD burner (since I don't have a CD drive...), that shouldn't be a dependency anyway.

the puzzling part still is that there's no "Audio CD Recorder" plugin in the plugin list, so I cannot de-activate...

#4 2009-05-05 06:28:53

TecnoVM64

I think it needs sound-juicer

#5 2009-05-06 06:46:49

dismal_denizen
Website

I think it needs sound-juicer

Seems to have worked for me.

#6 2009-05-10 08:18:13

hongster
Website

After installing brasero, the error disappeared.

#7 2009-05-10 08:21:35

imrehg
Website

it might be, but why shoul I have to install brasero, if I don't have any CD/DVD drive? that's what does not make sense. It says it's a plugin error, but the plugin does not exist in the plugin list...

#8 2009-05-10 16:34:44

imrehg
Website

Asked the gnome guys about it in this bug report, but they tell me that even if the Audio CD Recorder is a plugin is a plugin, it is not, so it's not listed in the plugin list because no sane person would want to turn it off, but if I want to turn it off I should use gconf.....

Is it just me, or does it really not make sense not to be able to turn off a plugin?

Okay, that might be a philosophical question (and I almost started to like gnome, but not very sure anymore), from the practical side there are other issues...

I poked around a little bit, and the problem is that the cd-burner plugin is compiled with brasero dependency, but i don't have brasero. It is listed as an optional dependency, but if I don't install it (on the Eee every MB counts...) then there's this error every single time. In the bug-report they say that i can turn it off somehow with gconf, but being an XFCE user, I'm not sure about that, and it seems I have to install some extra software for that as well...

So what would be possible solution:
1) recompile package every time for myself from ABS
2) install brasero and live with it
3) try to figure out gconf under xfce
4) figure out how to package rhythmbox differently, seprating core and plugins so that there are no broken dependencies...

Personally: 2 and 3 are very much "do not want". The 1 - if have to then it will happen. The best would be 4, though at the moment I don't have a good idea how should that one work, not to break other people's system... But it seems I'm not the only one with this problem either, so fixing this would make sense....

#9 2009-05-11 03:25:18

imrehg
Website

Okay, poking around a little bit more, this is less serious than first seemed.
I think the rhythmbox developers know their stuff so much already, that they don't think outside the box, how things would look for people who are less experienced with their system.

The reason of me saying this is, that after installing gconf-editor, and looking around in the /apps/rhythmbox/plugins, there is the cd-recorder and it can be made visible/invisible, or active/inactive.... So probably i was a bit too quick to file a bug report, but also, instead of them saying that they don't want to show the cd-recorder plugin in the plugin list just tell me that it is visibility is not hard-wired, but can be changed from the settings. That would make much more sense....

So I made all plugins visible in gconf, after starting rhythmbox it disables the cd-burner, and things look alright again, no need to install brasero just to satisfy the dependencies of a plugin that I cannot use....

Oh,  man....

Board footer