You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-06 00:03:43

tjwoosta

any way to make compiz play nice with pypanel?

Im a longtime fluxbox user but lately ive seen alot of peopel using standalone compiz, so i figured i should give it a go and see what its all about. 

So far im really liking some of the 3d effects, but i cant seem to get pypanel to play nice.  I have set pypanel so it should only show the applications that are on that specific desktop, but it continues to show all the apps from all desktops no matter what i do. (this wouldnt really be a problem except that when i minimize apps i can't open them on another desktop, i have to return to the desktop where i minimized them) Also i have noticed that when i rotate the desktop cube it continues to say desktop 1 in pypanel no matter which side of the cube im on. 

If i go into ccsm it says "horizontal virtual desktops: 4"  but it also says  "number of desktops: 1".  If i set number of desktops to 4 and horizontal virtual size to 1 i can change desktops on pypanel, but i dont get the compiz effects. If i set both to 4 i can change desktops with compiz but it wont change desktops on pypanel and i can change desktops with pypanel but i dont get any effects and on all four sides of the cube I have no apps (I get 4 horizontal virtual desktops on each of the 4 desktops in pypanel)

Basically what i want is for pypanel to register that im changing desktops when i change "virtual" dekstops with compiz.  Is this even possible?

#2 2009-05-11 21:29:35

RaisedFist
Website

Re: any way to make compiz play nice with pypanel?

on a related matter, for me pypanel is not even starting. or maybe it starts but it doesn't show once compiz-fusion is loaded. xfce4-menu works fine, but I don't want it. can someone help? thanks

#3 2009-05-11 22:11:27

tjwoosta

Re: any way to make compiz play nice with pypanel?

I had a similar problem when i first tried pypanel with compiz.  I found that if I make pypanel sleep for a couple of seconds to give compiz time to load up it works.

What you can do is make a simple script to load pypanel after a 5 second sleep instead of loading it directly with fusion-icon. 
(the reason for having two seperate scripts is that if you make pypanel sleep in the same script that you load fusion-icon from it will actually make both of them sleep and it won't work right)

So you will have one script (start-fusion.sh) that loads fusion-icon and the second-script.sh, then another script (second-script.sh) to load pypanel after a 5 second sleep

like this

start-fusion.sh

#!/bin/sh
/path/to/second-script.sh &
exec fusion-icon

then

second-script.sh

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
pypanel &

Last edited by tjwoosta (2009-05-11 22:13:58)

Board footer