You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-12 12:20:35

Bart6114

Rosegarden: System timer resolution is too low

Hello, I have a question about using Rosegarden. When starting Rosegarden, it comes up with the following message: System timer resolution is too low. Everything seems to work though. What can cause this? And how do I fix it?
Rosegarden suggest running: sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer. However I get the following message: FATAL: Module snd_rtctimer not found.

Thanks in advance!

ps. My soundcard has no builtin midi support, I use Qsynth to compensate for that. When I start Rosegarden without Qsynth, the errormessage does not appear (however midisounds also wont work).

#2 2009-05-15 08:55:56

knappix

Re: Rosegarden: System timer resolution is too low

For using Rosegarden, you will need realtime kernel. There is one called kernel26rt in aur. After rebooting with this kernel, there will be no error message.

#3 2009-05-15 12:56:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I suggest kernel26-ice instead of kernel26rt, as the maintainer of kernel26rt seems to be busy with real-life, and iceman81 (the maintainer of kernel26-ice) has been adding an option for the rt patchset in his kernel.

You WILL need to modify the PKGBUILD a bit anyhow. But you have to do that for every package from the AUR, ESPECIALLY kernels.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-05-15 23:02:12

sparchy

You can also try without the rt patches.  I've used Rosegarden with just the CONFIG_HZ=1000 and preempt set(will need to rebuild your kernel) and set the rtprio in /etc/security/limits.conf(arch wiki says 70, ubuntu uses slightly higher values). Used this setup with earlier 2.6.28/29 kernels without rt patches.  Was even able to get the bristol emulator connected to Rosegarden with very little to no hiccups or stalls, jackd helped alot. I don't use Qsynth just my cards midi/soundfonts and sometimes bristol emulator combo. Perhaps with no builtin midi support on your soundcard you will have to go the hard rt path to compensate for the softsynth.
Just saw the kernel26-ice that ngoonee recommended, give kernel26-ice a try, it's probably what you need and it looks like it uses more recent rt code than the kernel26rt one does.

Board footer