You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-13 10:08:51

Spider

2 Videocards and Multi Monitors: ATI vs nVidia?

Hey

I just wanted to ask whether I should buy an ATI (4890) or an nVidia (GTX 275) video card for my current rig. The main aspect is not the performance, rather the multihead support. Currently I use a 8800GT and a 8400GS for span a desktop over 3 screens with Xinerama. But I read that there are several other similar solutions in this area like TwinView, MergedFB, BigDesktop (ATI) and XRandr (1.3 which was supposed to support multi gpus but now actually its not?).
I worked with Xinerama the past few weeks, but its deprecated and it had a lot of problems with the recent 1.6 Xserver. Conky flickered because Xinerama disabled the double buffers and the whole DRI didn't work as well.

So I'm going to buy another video card to replace my 8800GT to use it with either the NV8400GS oder ATI3450 (got both here) and the question is: Which brand and which multihead solution should I choose for a Xinerama similar setup? Using one screen as primary and the other 2 screens (left and right) for dragging windows onto it.

Thanks
Spider

Board footer