You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-12 22:53:30

klangregen

Missing utf8 support in "automatic-generated" terminals

First of all, im not quite sure if this topic fits in the newbie section, but neither in the wm section, and over all i just dont know where this strange problem fits to...

Im using arch for serveral years now, and i love it. So i cant remember when this "problem" occurred the first time, probably a long time ago.

Everytime i start my wm (no matter if xmoand, awesome, fluxbox...) several terminals are firing up, but all (no matter if xterm -u8, urxvt, ...) are not able to display utf8 correctly, and that sucks.
(ive used different ways of "autostarting" these terminals, like .xinitrc, .Xsessions, Xmonad startup hooks)
(And it, of course, doesnt matter what shell im using, bash/zsh/...)

If i start another terminal by typing urxvt, this new terminal is displaying everythin correct. And that is, imho, odd...

If i start a new terminal, eg. with xmonads mod+shift-enter (refering to: terminal = "urxvt -tr -fg white -bg black" in .xmonad/xmonad.hs), no utf8 support.

It is, probably, a locale problem, so here we go:

/etc/rc.conf

LOCALE="en_US.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Berlin"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

/etc/locale.gen

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8  
en_US ISO-8859-1
$ locale -a                                                                                                  
C
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
POSIX
$ locale                                                                                                     
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

/etc/profile

LC_COLLATE="C"

.zshrc

export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
export LANG="en_US.utf8"

.Xdefaults

URxvt.imLocale: en_EN.UTF-8
URxvt.multichar_encoding: utf-8

i have a laptop with, as i can say, the same configuration, but everythings running fine there...

In init3 btw, everything is displayed nice. sad
Activly dealing with this problem for months now, im happily looking forward to your replies,
thx

#2 2009-05-13 11:18:13

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Missing utf8 support in "automatic-generated" terminals

Remove your custom locale settings from everywhere, and just let arch set it for you. Since you are setting everything to the same locale, just set it in rc,conf and nowhere else. And you don't need to set it in Xdefaults at all. (also, it should probably be en_US.utf8 in URxvt.imLocale: if you absolutly want to use that setting (whuch you don't need)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer