You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-13 19:54:07

fishonadish

Music player with multiple artist/genre support?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if any of the available media players support multiple values for tags?  For example, a collaboration would be listed under both artists.

I find I never use genres because they tend to be really broad, or I have far too many.  It seems the ideal solution to this would be a player that supported tags that behave like the type found on blogs etc.  I still can't find a way to organise music that doesn't get unweildy with a large collection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an app that can do this, or has similar functionality?

Thanks.
Fishondish

#2 2009-05-13 19:58:25

eldragon

Re: Music player with multiple artist/genre support?

i was thinking of the same thing....

in my head, im developing a linux based car mp3 player with a custom interface (which i need to build), one of the things i was planning for the mp3 database, is support for tags.. not just the single genre, which seems insufficient...

anyway, not everything is lost, maybe make a feature request to the rhythmbox developers? right now i use rhythmbox's dynamic playlists to include stuff i want to group toguether, but its quite gruesome....

#3 2009-05-13 20:27:37

fishonadish

Thanks for the tip - dynamic playlists might be a handy work-around. (I've never really used playlists out of laziness...)

From a quick google search, it seems Windows Media Player has this behaviour for semi-colon seperated values in the ID3 tag, but no luck on a Linux app.

Fishonadish

#4 2009-05-14 06:02:53

allbluedream

Quod Libet supports this. You can add multiple artist fields to a song. But the result might not be compatible elsewhere.

#5 2009-05-14 07:03:53

xaiviax

gmusicbroswer had it's own format for this

#6 2009-05-14 14:28:50

fishonadish

allbluedream wrote:

Quod Libet supports this. You can add multiple artist fields to a song. But the result might not be compatible elsewhere.

Thanks allbluedream.  I'm trying out Quod Libet now - looks like it should be exactly what I need, provided I have the patience to organise the tags...:)

Fishonadish

Board footer