You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-14 23:30:58

Elanus

Having trouble with X

Hi guys, trying to install Arch for my first time.  Everything went pretty well until I got to installing X.  I followed the instructions in the wiki, but when I try and test my configuration via the .xinitrc -> startx method I cannot interact with the terminal.  No error message however the system seems to believe everything is OK.  I can get out of the test with ctrl+alt+F1 and ctrl+c.  Not sure what logs or configs you guys need to help me trouble shoot (or how I'm going to get them on here since I'm on a different comp) so tell me what I need and I'll do my best to give it to you.  System is a Dell laptop with an Nvidia 8400.  I'm using the nvidia driver, which I believe matches with the card.  The system has run Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora in the past so I assume all the hardware is compatable and it's just a matter of tweaking configs correctly.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

#2 2009-05-14 23:34:44

brisbin33
Website

Re: Having trouble with X

make sure you've got the proper nvidia package installed, hal running, and a xorg.conf generated via nvidia-xconfig.  after that try startx and take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to spot errors (EE) and warnings (WW).  best of luck.

#3 2009-05-14 23:44:20

Elanus

Nvidia package is correct to the best of my knowlege, hal is set to load initially via rc.conf (how do I confirm that it did start just to be sure?).

Lines with the (WW) warning tag from the log are as follows:
AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or vmouse w$
Disabling Keyboard0
Disabling Mouse0

I assume that is what is making them not work.  What do I need to tweak to make those not be disabled?

Open ACPI failed

The mouse and keyboard are the built in keyboard and touchpad for the laptop.

UPDATE:

I did some googling and found the option to disable emptyinput.  When I got this I got a different set of errors:
Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
same for "mouse"
then the kbd one again
then "no input driver matching 'kbd'"
then the mouse one again
then the input driver error for mouse.

Last edited by Elanus (2009-05-15 00:43:32)

#4 2009-05-15 10:34:02

karol
Archivist

Do you have xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse installed (or maybe xf86-input-synaptics since it's a laptop?
To find out run 'pacman -Q | grep xf86-input'.

I don't have my input devices listed in 'Modules' section, but I do have evdev, kbd and mouse .so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input so they are in the ModulePath.

Last edited by karol (2009-05-15 11:21:05)

#5 2009-05-15 12:58:26

Joe_Arch

You can check to see if hal is running by using 'ps -A'.

And yeah, I'd definitely follow karol's advice and make sure you have those 2 packages. You can always 'sudo pacman -Sy xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-synaptics' and if you already have the packages it'll tell you and you can just hit 'n'.

#6 2009-05-15 13:27:47

StaticPhilly

I always have trouble with my X's... Best thing to do is change your phone number and move. If you cant move just hide every time you see them

sorry couldn't help my self! smile

Lightweight software dose not mean less! It just means you have to get your finger out and make it do and look like you want!

#7 2009-05-15 13:34:20

thisperishedmin

I just went through this the other day with an intel powered processor/video laptop.  Since you have keyboard to close out X...I'm gonna guess your touchpad isnt cooperating.  Are you using hotswapping via hal? 

If so, ensure HAL is properly in daemons and restart.  then, follow the directions outlined in this section of the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tou … enabled.29

After I did this, I got mouse input in my case...good luck!

Board footer