You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-15 17:59:35

SomeoneWithAPurpose

As hwd doesn't work anymore... [SOLVED]

As hwd doesn't work anymore, I have a problem with installing and maintaining Xorg on my Arch machine. I recently reinstalled Archlinux on my desktop machine, and was unaware that Xorg had been updated.

So when I tried to do my normal installation routine of installing all the necessary drivers, xorg and hwd, I ran into a problem. When I ran hwd -u + -xa, it said No X server installed. I searched around and found out that hwd was not supported any longer.

So I figured i'd just do the manual configuration of Xorg. So I ran X -configure, and then ran the server. Everytime I did this, the computer would freeze up upon entering the environment.

So I tried doing nvidia-xconfig, and ended up actually getting into the environment, but after all the xterm windows had popped up, it froze again everytime.

After reading abit articles on the subject, I tried letting Xorg simply use HAL for it's hardware recognization. This time it worked, and I was able to enter the environment with no problem. So I went with this alternative, and installed Openbox.

Now, the problem shows up when I enter the environment. I can clearly see that there's somewhat of a problem with the graphics. So I tried configuring a minimal xorg.conf to run along side HAL. This still didn't fix the problem. The problem is, there are areas of the screen that are SLIGHTLY blurry. For example, if I write something in xterm, then move it to certain parts of the screen, the text becomes mildly blurry. It's not a big problem, just irritating. But this little problem may be an indication of a bigger problem. I'm sensing I don't have 3D capabilities, but haven't tested yet.

Another thing is; When I write something in xterm while in the environment, and I hold down the backspace button... Xorg simply crashes without any particular error.

Anyway, my point is; I had an idea that, is there some way to make hwd recognize the xorg server as a older version, making it configure a file for it? I've never had any problem with xorg up until this new update, which irritates me alot, making me want to find some other distrobution of linux.

I hope someone can help me fix this.

Last edited by SomeoneWithAPurpose (2009-05-15 22:24:17)

#2 2009-05-15 18:35:38

thisperishedmin

Re: As hwd doesn't work anymore... [SOLVED]

you could roll back your Xorg version to continue using hwd in the meantime...

I'm assuming you've followed http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … _xorg.conf to try without xorg / with minimal xorg.  Have you ensured that your drivers are up to date?  I would attempt reinstalling video drivers, trying HAL again with NO xorg file, and if that fails, try it with minimal xorg.

Hopefully someone comes along with a more concrete solution...I'm just hoping to steer you down a path of some new ideas (if you havent already tried this...)

I had some trouble with the latest version.  Reinstalling video drivers and running with no xorg.conf was the fix...I know you said you tried this same thing, but you havent specified how new your drivers are or anything... Good luck and free bump!

#3 2009-05-15 18:45:48

dmartins

Although I don't used hwd to configure X, I happen to have it installed & it seems to work just fine. Running hwd -x generates a xorg.conf.vesa file for me with no problems.
Anyways, I'd suggest posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Maybe someone can spot some obvious problems with that.

#4 2009-05-15 19:09:19

SomeoneWithAPurpose

What the hell... Now hwd works...

I'm gonna see what happens now... I'll post back in a few minutes...

The Arch community continues to surprise me... Sometimes I think that you guys have a group of nerds sitting in a basement refreshing the forum every minute and fixing stuff as it pops up.

#5 2009-05-15 19:17:07

dmartins

SomeoneWithAPurpose wrote:

The Arch community continues to surprise me... Sometimes I think that you guys have a group of nerds sitting in a basement refreshing the forum every minute and fixing stuff as it pops up.

NOO! He's figured us out! Don't let him escape or he'll ruin everything!

#6 2009-05-15 20:26:36

MoonSwan

hwd -u updates its database or whatever it uses to identify hardware, I had to use this recently and that should work for what you want it to do next time.

If you solved your issue then please mark this thread as such.  smile

#7 2009-05-15 21:41:59

SomeoneWithAPurpose

Well, it works and I ran hwd -xa, then configured the remaining stuff that needed to be fixed.

But there's still the issue of;

Blurry areas, and
when I close Xorg, I get a list of "which: no <some application> in <path>"

Applications are: hsetroot, esetroot, dbus-launch, gnome-settings-daemon, xfce-mcs-manager and start_kdeinit. Most of these have no relevance to Openbox so far I know.

#8 2009-05-15 21:44:55

brisbin33
Website

those apps are probably involved in the whole `. $GLOBALAUTOSTART` bit in .config/openbox/autostart.sh.  comment that line and see if those go away.

#9 2009-05-15 21:47:15

SomeoneWithAPurpose

Btw, how do I rollback to a previous Xorg version?

#10 2009-05-15 22:23:52

SomeoneWithAPurpose

Oh lol... Apparently I fixed all my problems... Somehow...

I just removed the xorg.conf file and am running off HAL now. Blurry areas are gone for some reason, and I am running 3D acceleration now.

Makes no sense, but whatever smile Thanks for your help all... Solved.

Board footer