You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-15 08:29:03

bearded-flower

disk image help

Ok, i downloaded the USB disk image today, and i tried t make a bootable USB by using the "create a USB start up disk" ( ubuntu )
but it wouldnt recognise the files.
what program should i use?
or is there a way to do it via command line?

#2 2009-05-15 08:32:25

rebugger

Re: disk image help

#3 2009-05-15 16:51:40

JK3mp

I believe he said that he was installing UBUNTU not arch linux on a thumb drive. i would actually READ the post before quickly making a useless post wink . Ubuntu has a page on there wiki. Also i've known a few laptops etc that don't allow a boot from USB. A few AMD based systems restrict it i believe. Give some specs on your system. (i had a netbook go haywire once, and had no option but USB boot, turned out it couldn't boot from USB, sucked , but thats life) . Which brings me to another question, is it a netbook? Thus being your choice of using a USB boot ?

#4 2009-05-15 18:23:31

thisperishedmin

JK3mp wrote:

I believe he said that he was installing UBUNTU not arch linux on a thumb drive. i would actually READ the post before quickly making a useless post wink . Ubuntu has a page on there wiki. Also i've known a few laptops etc that don't allow a boot from USB. A few AMD based systems restrict it i believe. Give some specs on your system. (i had a netbook go haywire once, and had no option but USB boot, turned out it couldn't boot from USB, sucked , but thats life) . Which brings me to another question, is it a netbook? Thus being your choice of using a USB boot ?

The original poster previously was having issues with an optical drive if i recall correctly...I interpret it as the Ubuntu startup disc option didn't work for him in recognizing the arch files...of course I could be wrong!  If this is the poster I'm thinking of ...it is a desktop computer.

Ensure that your system can do boot from USB either way. Beyond that, refer to the wiki link provided (if this is for Arch...if not I dont know why you wouldnt visit the Ubuntu forums tongue).  If you run in to any further problems, please post back with more specific information, error messages, and so on!

Good luck!

#5 2009-05-16 06:32:44

bearded-flower

JK3mp wrote:

No, no the first guy was right.
sorry for not beng all that clear, i WAS using ubuntu, and i WANTED to install arch.
but i figured it out thanks for the help guys
EDIT: after reading through my first post i can see it wasnt all that detailed or anything, yeah sorry guys

Last edited by bearded-flower (2009-05-16 06:35:32)

Board footer