You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-16 09:12:13

leftylink

HAL randomly does not recognize USB devices?

I'm not sure if this is a laptop problem, but I will post here, as it doesn't seem to quite fit any other category, and I use a laptop.

Sometimes, when I plug in a USB device, it will not be recognized by Hal (mouse doesn't work, or USB drive doesn't mount, etc.) If I hit Ctrl Alt F1 to see what's up, I will see a message that looks like "device has no capabilities" (sorry, don't remember off the top of my head).

I've been using a quick fix for this: restart HAL, unplug USB device, plug in again. Sometimes it works. If not, I restart HAL and try again. Eventually, it does work. But I see no pattern to when it works and when it doesn't work. It's like it's random!

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem, and how can I cause my fix to 'stick' instead of having to restart HAL just to make my USB devices work?

#2 2009-05-16 12:21:38

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: HAL randomly does not recognize USB devices?

That sounds more like a hardware problem than a HAL problem. I've only experienced that with a very cheap card reader I have and I have seen reports about problems with usb that could be traced back to a bad cable.

Other than a hardware problem I have no idea what can be causing that. Post more details like laptop brand and model and the devices that fail and maybe someone else may have a clue about why it's not working for you.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer