You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-04 06:31:55

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Interesting opinion about gnome.

I found this opinion to be very in line with what I have been thinking lately.
I do like gnome, but find that it is drifting further and further away from something I consider "easily usable".
http://webhome.idirect.com/~allusion/wri-gnome2.html

Opinions?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2004-12-04 10:22:05

murkus

Re: Interesting opinion about gnome.

cactus wrote:

I found this opinion to be very in line with what I have been thinking lately.
I do like gnome, but find that it is drifting further and further away from something I consider "easily usable".
http://webhome.idirect.com/~allusion/wri-gnome2.html

Opinions?

I'm a Gnome user. I hate the spatial navigation.
What I'd like to have is something like what is going to be in E17.  You only have one window, but you can still easily access previous directories simulataneously.

.murkus

PS. I haven't really looked into Gnome configuration, maybe there is a way to disable spatial nautilus somewhere..

#3 2004-12-04 12:26:20

Alkimyst

PS. I haven't really looked into Gnome configuration, maybe there is a way to disable spatial nautilus somewhere..

(Nautilus window)->Preferences->Behaviour->"Always open in browser windows"

I think this only applies to gnome 2.8. If you have 2.6 you have to edit the gconf entry directly...

#4 2004-12-04 13:42:42

shlo

I like the "spatial" deal. I guess thats kuz I was an oldschool Mac user. Back pre Mac OS 10 all folders opened up to new windows. It was cool. Between that and windowshading I could see everything at once while maintaining reasonable clutter ammounts.

But I don't use gnome anyways. Who the hell needs it?

#5 2004-12-04 14:55:30

murkus

shlo wrote:

But I don't use gnome anyways. Who the hell needs it?

As soon as E17 becomes stable I'm going to try it hoping that I like it. Until then gnome it is.

.murkus  big_smile

#6 2004-12-04 21:14:46

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

murkus wrote:

As soon as E17 becomes stable I'm going to try it hoping that I like it. Until then gnome it is.
.murkus  big_smile

Me too. There are some things I like about gnome.
For some reason, I really like gnome-terminal..it is slow, and prone to goofiness, but I still like it.
And some things I like about kde...
the protocol independence. I can use kate to open sftp connections to my server and edit files live. wonderful!

I basically wish that I could decouple these apps from their desktop environments, and be able to  use them free standing. Like using them in XFCE without having to install all the other crap that comes with them. I know that it is damn near impossible to do....it would involve rewriting so much, that it would likely be easier to just write something new.

Anyway, I have really high hopes for e17.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer