You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-16 23:07:01

_jeff_

Trouble getting MPD to see music files on SSH (SFTP) share

So, I have mpd installed. It has been working just fine for playing music locally on my laptop running Arch, so I thought I would try to get it to access my main music library on my desktop.

I'm using Gigolo in Xfce to access my desktop computer via SSH. I symlinked my ~/Music folder to the mountpoint under ~/.gvfs. I can see all my music files, but mpd refuses to add them to the database when I do an update. I am assuming that this is because all the files and directories have full permissions for me, but no permissions for anyone else. mpd is running as the default user 'mpd'. I tried changing it to my user (jeff) without success.

So, I made sure that all the music files/directories on the desktop had the correct permissions, but when I mount it on my laptop, these permissions are apparently ignored, and only I (user 'jeff') have any permissions for them. I'm not sure what to do. What determines which permissions my music folder has when it's mounted on my laptop? I tried looking at /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but I wasn't sure what to change, if anything. Am I missing something obvious or going about this all wrong?

There must be others who have done this. A little help, please?

EDIT: (spelling)

Last edited by _jeff_ (2009-05-17 10:03:13)

#2 2009-05-17 08:03:43

_jeff_

Re: Trouble getting MPD to see music files on SSH (SFTP) share

Sorry for responding to myself. Here's something else I tried.

On the desktop server (running OS X Leopard), I created a wrapper script which sets the umask before calling sftp-server, like so:

#!/bin/sh
umask 022
exec /usr/libexec/sftp-server

Then, in my sshd_config file, I changed the sftp-server line to point to my wrapper script:

Subsystem  sftp  /etc/sftp-server.sh

I restarted sshd on the server, but I still get the exact same results when I mount the share in Arch. Full permissions for my user, and none for anyone else (including the 'mpd' user trying to access my music files).

I thought I was going about it the right way by trying to make it work with SSH.

EDIT: After further thought, I see that this was a pointless attempt, since I am not trying to change the default permissions for newly created files, but trying to grant wider permissions to existing files.

Last edited by _jeff_ (2009-05-17 08:50:07)

#3 2009-05-17 18:12:13

_jeff_

Re: Trouble getting MPD to see music files on SSH (SFTP) share

Well, it's been a lonely thread. smile Maybe because I didn't even say "Hello, all!" in my very first post. (Hello, all!)

Anyway, in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future, I solved it by following the "Old setup instructions" in the Arch Wiki page for MPD. (I had originally followed the "New setup instructions".)

Lesson: "Newer" doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Board footer