You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-15 09:38:18

phunni

Teething troubles

OK - I just switched from gentoo last night and I'm having some teething troubles getting arch set up how I like it - some of these are distro issues, some perhaps more package related - but I figured I'd post them all in case anyone had some hints:

1) galeon - can't add bookmarks (nothing happens - no error), tabs down the side (ugh!)

2) evolution - would like galeon to be my default browser.  I'm not using gnome - only fluxbox, so I can't use a gnome config tool

3) Alsa - have al lthe modules loaded, but nothing.  I don't think there is any server/daemon running.  I installed all the alsa pacakges in pacman (alsa-driver, alsa-lib, asla-oss, alsa-utils).  I did a search on this board, but couldn't see any really helpful posts - although others refered to some that looked like they might be, I couldn't find them

Any help gratefully appreciated.  I'd really like to get arch going as my main distro

#2 2003-08-15 09:58:57

Mork II

Re: Teething troubles

I can't help you with 1 and 2. For 3 check Gyroplasts explanation in this thread:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=882

If you are using a stock kernel you can ignore steps 1 to 3 since you have already installed the needed packages with pacman. After you have configured your modules.conf and rc.conf in a way suitable for your card remember to run alsamixer to set sound levels properly (I forgot this and was very confused for a while).

#3 2003-08-15 10:09:21

phunni

Re: Teething troubles

thanks - that got sound working.  I'll probably have to do it againat some point though.  one of the teething troubles I didn't mention is that the stock kernel doesn't really seem to support my system perfectly so I'll have to compile a custom one at some point - but I'm happy to do that anyway

Board footer