You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 14:02:45

Exitium

No sound with ALSA

Okay, I have a weird problem. I can't get sound from ALSA (or OSS) apps, Pulseaudio works fine.

All worked fine when I had my headset plugged into my computer's own sound card. But there were problems with microphone (also on Win7, so I think the problem wasn't my configuration) and therefore I "stole" (with permission big_smile ) my brother's external USB sound card and plugged my headset into it. All I had to do was advance USB sound card's priority on KDE "Sound and Video configuration" and sound and microphone were fine on Amarok, Skype, Kopete, Flash, Mumble etc. Microphone worked on Win7 too.

But when I try to run a program which uses only ALSA, such as WC3 with Wine or Urban Terror (native Linux client), I get no sound. How do I fix this?

First I thought that ALSA tries to use my default sound card. I pasted the following lines on my ~/.asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
   type hw
card 1
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 1
}

I MANAGED to get sound from my headset on Wine. But not from other apps, such as Amarok. After a few reboots I gave up, result was same all the time. Then I tried to paste these lines (after I commented the previous lines):

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

No effect. And running Wine with padsp (after selcted OSS device on winecfg) doesn't make a trick either. So, help please?

Note that I use Kubuntu 9.04 right now, not Arch. So I haven't configured my sound devices myself. hmm

Last edited by Exitium (2009-05-18 14:03:44)

#2 2009-05-18 14:49:04

karol
Archivist

#3 2009-05-18 16:16:26

Exitium

Re: No sound with ALSA

I already read that, but there was no answer or any kind of reference to my problem.

#4 2009-05-18 17:02:19

karol
Archivist

Re: No sound with ALSA

>Note that I use Kubuntu 9.04 right now,
Are you asking for help w/ Kubuntu-related ALSA problems? I may try to help w/ Arch, but I simply have no idea how things are configured in Kubuntu.

Board footer