You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 14:57:50

Violin

Newbie consulting about migration to Arch Linux from Ubuntu

I am using Ubuntu until I find Arch Linux, and I feel I quite agree with its principle of simplicity. I am considering a migration to Arch Linux.
The two major aspects I am thinking over are NTFS support and Chinese support.
As for NTFS, I need a system which has the capability to both read and write NTFS partitions, and stability is quite important for me. I cannot afford any data loss! With Ubuntu, I have never suffered a data loss from NTFS partitions.
As for Chinese, I do not care about the UI language. Usually I use US English. But I need the system to display Chinese and allow me to input Chinese.
Does Arch Linux meet my requirements? Or is it possible to configure it to have those capabilities?
Thank you! And sorry for my poor English.

谁言别后终无悔,
寒月清宵绮梦回。
深知身在情长在,
前尘不共彩云飞。

#2 2009-05-18 15:07:59

Runiq

Re: Newbie consulting about migration to Arch Linux from Ubuntu

ntfs-3g takes care of NTFS support. It's quite stable here, and I reckon Ubuntu uses it as well.

From my experiences with writing Japanese, I'd say that Arch is definitely able display Chinese as well. Writing chinese Characters shouldn't be that difficult either, given the fact that all Linux packages are basically the same. It's also possible to display and write Chinese characters in a console.

As for stability, I never had any problems, though it's in rare cases necessary to refer to the homepage before updating system-critical packages. I'd also update at least once a week if I were you. wink

#3 2009-05-18 15:15:43

sveri80

I use ntfs partitions very regular writing and reading. On a day to day use so to say and didnt experience one data loss scince the ntfs-3g driver was considered stable in writing.

#4 2009-05-18 15:27:41

Violin

Runiq wrote:

ntfs-3g takes care of NTFS support. It's quite stable here, and I reckon Ubuntu uses it as well.

From my experiences with writing Japanese, I'd say that Arch is definitely able display Chinese as well. Writing chinese Characters shouldn't be that difficult either, given the fact that all Linux packages are basically the same. It's also possible to display and write Chinese characters in a console.

As for stability, I never had any problems, though it's in rare cases necessary to refer to the homepage before updating system-critical packages. I'd also update at least once a week if I were you. wink

Thank you!
The stability I stated mainly refers to the stability of ntfs-3g.

谁言别后终无悔,
寒月清宵绮梦回。
深知身在情长在,
前尘不共彩云飞。

#5 2009-05-18 15:30:31

Violin

sveri80 wrote:

I use ntfs partitions very regular writing and reading. On a day to day use so to say and didnt experience one data loss scince the ntfs-3g driver was considered stable in writing.

Thank you! That is really cool. Practice verifies the truth.
And modestly looking for more advice.

谁言别后终无悔,
寒月清宵绮梦回。
深知身在情长在,
前尘不共彩云飞。

#6 2009-05-18 15:48:46

Ronin-Sage
Website

I've been using ntfs-3g or my WinXP partition since I've been using Arch(almost 3/4 of a year), and have never had any data integrity issues.

If you choose to make the move, welcome to Arch Linux, btw.

#7 2009-05-18 15:50:26

Llama
Banned

Your requirements are very modest, Violin smile . To be satisfied out of the box, in fact (as far as 'out of the box' concept is applicable to Arch). The only warning: I've heard that sharing your NTFS partition with a working Windows (dual boot) may be tricky because now and then Windows decides to keep track of certain files. In such a case Windows may complain of missing files. If it worked for you with Ubuntu, though, the Arch should be no worse.

#8 2009-05-18 16:21:27

bangkok_manouel

[ot]please do not use bold red font, it hurts eyes (and mind) very badly. TIA[/ot]

#9 2009-05-18 19:07:14

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

+1 for the stability of ntfs-3g and yes, ubuntu uses it also.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer