You are not logged in.

#26 2009-05-18 19:27:34

jorpheus

Re: Pros and Cons of Databasing Music

Berticus wrote:

If you've got a good strict filesystem hierarchy, it would sort of make tagging and commenting files sort of a moot point.

QFT.

I hate tags. I really really hate tags. Before I found a (good) GUI app for removing them, I used Python+Mutagen to seek and destroy (used in Quod Libet and Ex Falso, Ex Falso I found pretty useless, never was interested in QL, long live MOC tongue).

#27 2009-05-18 20:31:37

stefanwilkens

true, mpd doesn't pick up changes in tags... but destroying the database and re-creating it really doesn't take a lot of time.

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#28 2009-05-18 21:37:51

Rasi
Website

2_Thumbs_Up wrote:
Berticus wrote:

Lastly, is there a way to play an individual song, instead of adding it to a databse, discover I don't like it, and then remove it? Or do you guys just use a separate program for that?

There is no official way but there is a small script (mpc-play) at the mpd wiki site which does just that. It works by adding a temporary symlink from the music database folder to the file you want to play and then playing it. It works very nice. When I double click a file in my file manager it simply starts playing without any interface popping up and I can stop it with my keyboard media keys.

MPD can be used with unix sockets instead of tcp - this allows playing of songs that are not in database

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#29 2009-05-18 21:43:41

brisbin33
Website

Rasi wrote:

MPD can be used with unix sockets instead of tcp - this allows playing of songs that are not in database

/me is interested

link to details?

Board footer