You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-19 15:15:33

esh

Newbieish upgrade question

So my machine has not been upgraded since about September and is requesting 2.6GB of downloads (390 targets). Does anyone have any recommendations on the order in which to do things, or do I just let it fly at the whole thing? Just looking for the least disaster-prone route that is possible.

Cheers.

#2 2009-05-19 15:44:41

Crows

Re: Newbieish upgrade question

Pacman handles all the dependencies etc for you - and will warn you if a particular app is missing something (if you install a few at a time) so there shouldn't be a problem whichever route you take.

If you want to hold a particular package one time only you can use something like:

sudo pacman -Syu --ignore=openoffice-base

Where openoffice-base can be any package (or a list, using commas).

Take a quick look at the Arch news/pacman forum to see if any of the updates may need you to intervene and you're good to go.

You may want to go make a cup of coffee or something, though smile.

Last edited by Crows (2009-05-19 15:47:10)

#3 2009-05-19 15:55:26

brisbin33
Website

Re: Newbieish upgrade question

yeah +1 for letting pacman deal with it, just let it fly. 

no doubt you might have some problems.  my prediction?  you'll get some xorg-server and klibc errors...  just read any pacman error output and search the forum/news to get the exact commands you have to run. 

and as crows said, use the --ignore option to save a troublesome package until you've updated the rest of your system (if it comes to that).  you'll probably have to -Syu --ignore=xorg-server, then -Sf xorg-server, then -Syu again.  the klibc error will look nasty but you just need to remove a certain folder and that update'll go fine, check the news archives.

have fun watching 2.6 GB of updates fly by.

Board footer