You are not logged in.

#26 2004-12-05 19:02:42

Stinky

Re: Any Slackers Here?

I use both.  I use Arch on my desktop mostly because of the pacman system.  One pacman -Syu and everything is up to date.  It keeps the time I spend maintaining the system to a minimum.  More time for production stuff.  On my server, though, I use Slack.  It's rock solid stable and it just works.  I choose not to use Arch for the servers because sometimes, since it is so bleeding edge, some of the updates cause hiccups, small bugs, etc.  I don't need that on my servers that need to stay up and running all the time. 
But....To each his own.  That's why we have choices!

#27 2004-12-05 21:23:12

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

anyone know how patrick is doing?
Can slack survive without him?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#28 2004-12-06 04:48:49

aCoder
Website

anyone know how patrick is doing?

http://slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386

That's the latest info though, and you've probably already seen it.

Can slack survive without him?

Hopefully we won't need to worry about that, at least as a result of this particular ordeal.  However, should the worst happen, whether Slack continues, (which it probably will), or not, there is a certain Slackware 'spirit' that will always live on in every extremely intelligent and almost, (or totally), insane geek, hacker, developer, and/or sysadmin in existance.

slack1.jpg

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#29 2004-12-06 04:52:56

aCoder
Website

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I'm not too fond of thread necromancy, but I'm quite fond of the term 'thread necromancy'.  I can't remeber who coined it, and, being too tired to do a real search, my attempts at finding the thread I first read it in have been fruitless.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#30 2004-12-06 05:13:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

aCoder wrote:

there is a certain Slackware 'spirit' that will always live on in every extremely intelligent and almost, (or totally), insane geek, hacker, developer, and/or sysadmin in existance.

Long live the church of the subgenius!!
*pulls out his 'old timey' looking pipe*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#31 2005-01-24 14:15:20

ShiN

zeppelin wrote:

Slack w/ DropLine is excellent
Slack w/out DropLine is misery

"[Dropline] make your slack less slack than debian" wink

Slackware and Arch user.

#32 2005-01-29 22:02:37

haohmaru

I've been using Slackware to and from since '99 (Slackware 7 I guess), but since I found out about Arch last year I'm using Arch more and more. It's easier to setup than Debian or Gentoo, and has more packages than Slackware. Heh. I still thinks that both Arch and Slackware is easier to set up and use than any of the 5 "big" distros. Not as much hand-helding but gets things done. Clean directory trees and easy to install stuff from source if necessary.

Right now, at work I use Slackware -current, and at home Arch -current.

"Let one live alone doing no evil, care-free, like an elephant in the elephant forest." - Buddha

#33 2005-01-30 00:32:18

iBertus

I switched to Arch from Slackware. I've always thought of Arch as what Slackware *COULD* be or *SHOULD* have been. I know that's a bold statement, but hear me out. Arch is simple, well structured and doesn't reinvent the wheel when it's not necessary, just like Slack. But, Arch has far better package management IMHO. I've never tried checkinstall but I can't imagine it being better than the pacman/ABS combo. 

I really did like Slackware but feel that Arch has more going for it right now. I enjoy that Arch is up-to-date with the latest packages and find myself impressed that the system is quite stable regardless. I can't remember the last time I had an issue that was show stopping on Arch. Plus, unlike Slackware we have a much more active user community. These forums are great fun to hang around even if you don't have an issue to resolve.

Board footer