You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-20 21:36:28

nonis

x server locks up [Solved]

I just set up a fresh Arch Linux installation. (First time with arch, used to use slackware) Anyway, all I've done so far is run pacman -Syu to update the system, then pacman nvidia, xorg, mesa, and xf86-input-evdev. (as per the beginners' guide)

Then I ran xorg -configure to set up an xorg.conf file. I've also tried with no xorg.conf and with one generated by nvidia-xconfig. In every case, starting the X server gives me a blank black screen. Keyboard and mouse input both do nothing (Can't switch terminals, can't ctrl-alt-backspace, etc). Further, I set up a .xinitrc which contains the line "exec xterm". When I run startx with that xinitrc I get a black screen with a terminal in the top left corner. Keyboard input does nothing and mouse does nothing. My only option is to power off and on.

Anyone have any idea why this would be? It seems that it locks up the entire system, although this could simply be because no input has any effect. It's a plain xorg installation. I've tried with vesa and nvidia drivers. I've tried all different config files. Am I overlooking something needed?

Also, /var/log/Xorg.log.0 is empty

Last edited by nonis (2009-05-21 19:57:19)

#2 2009-05-20 22:14:23

rusty99

Re: x server locks up [Solved]

Is hal added to /etc/rc.conf daemon section, and started with /etc/rc.d/hal start ?
Adding the below to /etc/X11/xorg.conf will allow you to escape X with ctrl+alt+backspace should you get any issues.

Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

#3 2009-05-21 02:58:39

nonis

I added hald to the list of daemons to run. I also started it with /etc/rc.d/hal start before running the x server. I added DontZap as well. Now I can't even get an xterm to pop up when x starts. It just locks up. Same as before, no term switching and no ctrl+alt+backspace.

Edit: I also tried disabling hotplugging with Option "AutoAddDevices" "False" in xorg.conf. Still no luck.

Last edited by nonis (2009-05-21 03:51:52)

#4 2009-05-21 05:31:13

leeyee

Have you added yourself into necessary group? Such as hal, video, dbus

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#5 2009-05-21 06:06:49

nonis

I haven't added the user I've tested it with to any of those groups. But it is the same for root as well...

Edit: I tried adding the user to video, hal, and dbus. I also reinstalled xorg, nvidia, and xf86-input-evdev and started Hal. Then I ran X, no luck. Then I ran X -configure and it set up a file, still no luck. Then I ran nvidia-xconfig to fix up the file for the nvidia driver. Still nothing for either a user or root.

Last edited by nonis (2009-05-21 07:00:51)

#6 2009-05-21 08:23:34

grey

Two suggestions:

1. check for error messages in the Xorg log files. The files are under /var/log/Xorg.*, you're probably interested in Xorg.0.log or Xorg.0.log.old. To get the error messages do 'grep EE <logfile>'

2. If you can (and if the following doesn't sound like black arts to you), ssh into your machine from the outside, then start X from there. That way you may be able to see error messages that don't make it into the Xorg log files. It will also save you from having to power off, since you can kill X from the remote machine.

Last edited by grey (2009-05-21 08:24:16)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#7 2009-05-21 08:32:21

nonis

I know about ssh and such, but I don't have another machine easily accessible. Is there any way to tell xorg to start the x server in a different tty or something so that I can still kill it?

#8 2009-05-21 15:11:00

chrispoole

Try this:

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
   EndSection

I had a similar problem (perhaps it's similar anyway, it won't hurt to try), and this sorted it. It disabled hotplugging.

EDIT: sorry, just read OP's post a few replies above, saying that this didn't help.

Last edited by chrispoole (2009-05-21 15:13:04)

#9 2009-05-21 16:47:41

karol
Archivist

Does it matter if you add 'hal' not 'hald' to the daemons?
Kbd/mouse - USB or not?
Proper video drivers installed?

#10 2009-05-21 16:54:41

windtalker

Assuming you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver,,, running xorg-configure was unnecessary and when I did it the first time I installed I ended up starting all over again because X was totally hosed for me.
After installing the proprietary driver do:

# nvidia-xconfig --composite --add-argb-glx-visuals

Then in xorg.conf/devices add:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "RenderAccel" "False"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "AGPFastWrite" "True"
    Option         "EnablePageFlip" "True"
EndSection

Note: Setting RenderAccell to "True" can cause corruption in all of your font as well as images.
At least it did for me and thousands of others but it doesn't hurt to try if that's your desire.

While you're in xorg.conf go ahead and add to the bottom of the page:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
    Option   "DontZap"    "False"
EndSection

then:

Make sure all instances of DRI are commented out:

#    Load        "dri"

has never made any difference for me but it doesn't hurt to check just in case.

and lastly:

# depmod -a

Make sure hal as well as your DE is added to the daemons and reboot.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa hal kdm3 cups)

Since you're new to Arch and coming from Slack be aware you'll probably need to bone up on policykit to be able to use your usb stick and cd/dvd.
There's info here in the forum as well as wiki on it.
One last hint, don't interupt pacman when it's running.
Can be a pain in the ass trying to remember what to rm and where it is.

Last edited by windtalker (2009-05-21 16:58:45)

#11 2009-05-21 18:33:19

nonis

Does it matter if you add 'hal' not 'hald' to the daemons?
Kbd/mouse - USB or not?
Proper video drivers installed?

I don't think it matters because I've even disabled hotplugging. Will try though.
Keyboard is not usb, mouse is.
I installed nvidia from the Arch repository. I've also tried vesa.

After installing the proprietary driver do......

I followed these instructions completely and still nothing. However I did cancel pacman once because I realized the default mirror was slow and wanted to change it. Maybe I broke something there? I might just try reinstalling from scratch again since I'm not too far into it. That's the wimpy way out though. =P

#12 2009-05-21 18:39:32

karol
Archivist

You can try:

Section "ServerLayout"
  # ... 
  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
EndSection

Can you post your xorg.conf? What video card are you using?

#13 2009-05-21 19:57:02

nonis

Honestly, I must've screwed something up setting up Arch. I just did it again, following the beginner's guide on installing X exactly, and it's fine. Maybe it was that I stopped pacman halfway through updating my system the first time? Maybe it was something else in my short hour of setting up arch...

But, I'm typing this from firefox in openbox in X on arch linux right now, so I guess I can call this solved. =P Sorry that this thread will be of no help to anyone who has the same problem, except: reinstall arch from scratch. \=

Board footer