You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 04:14:25

sfauzia

[CLOSED, but not SOLVED] Keyboard Works Almost Not At All

I recently installed the xorg-server-antidesktop from the AUR, and it fixed my problem of X freezing and not starting. However, my keyboard no longer works, except for the keyboard shortcuts configured by xbindkeys and my acpi handler script. Everything is still peachy in the console, however, which makes me wonder if this a driver issue or an xorg.conf issue. Here's my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver    "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Option    "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"
  Option    "Type"        "stylus"
  Option    "ForceDevice"    "ISDV4"
  Option    "Button2"        "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver    "wacom"
  Identifier    "eraser"
  Option    "Type"        "eraser"
  Option    "Button1"        "2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver    "wacom"
  Identifier    "cursor"
  Option    "Type"        "cursor"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver    "wacom"
  Identifier    "touch"
  Option    "Type"        "touch"
  Option    "BottomY"        "953"
  Option    "BottomX"        "931"
  Option    "Top Y"        "80"
  Option    "TopX"        "50"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
  Driver    "mouse"
  Option    "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
  Option    "Protocol"                "ExplorerPS/2"
  Option    "EmulateWheel"            "true"
  Option    "EmulateWheelTimeOut"    "200"
  Option    "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
  Option    "ZAxisMapping"            "4 5"
  Option    "ZAxisMapping"            "6 7"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
  Driver    "kbd"
  Option    "CoreKeyboard"
  Option    "XkbRules"        "xorg"
  Option    "XkbModel"    "pc105"
  Option    "XkbLayout"    "us"
  Option    "XkbVariant"    "intl"
  Option    "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch_multikey"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier    "Default Screen"
  Monitor    "Configured Monitor"
  Device    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Files"
  FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/local"
  FontPath    "/home/sara/.fonts"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option    "DontZap"            "false"
  Option    "AllowEmptyInput"    "false"
  Option    "AutoAddDevices"    "off"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier        "Default Layout"
  Screen        "Default Screen"
  InputDevice    "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
  InputDevice    "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
  InputDevice    "touch"        "SendCoreEvents"
  InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
  InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

I tried to indent this in Notepad (I'm reduced to using a Windows computer to type this post) the text to make it easier to read, but it isn't as perfect as it should be. Sorry about that.

Hopefully someone else who has disabled hotplugging and owns a Lenovo X61 tablet (or any model similar, for that matter), could offer me some guidance.  Thanks.

[EDIT] I gave up the fight to keep my xorg.conf, and, truth be told, it's worth it. I updated my linuxwacom-dev package, and touch works but has to be calibrated, and the eraser is being recognized as a pen, but I'm sure this can properly be configured. It's not worth it to keep fighting and waste hours on what appears to be hopeless. Just loved having my already-configured xorg.conf and using it on every fresh install, I suppose. I'm now updating Easystroke as well and I hope it fixes the problem it has with X server. [/EDIT]

Last edited by sfauzia (2009-05-23 04:46:58)

#2 2009-05-21 08:56:11

andu

Re: [CLOSED, but not SOLVED] Keyboard Works Almost Not At All

check for /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors or even warnings.

in my settings:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "DontZap" "false"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
    Option         "AutoAddDevices" "false"

try under server flags those settings AllowEmptyInput false or true and AutoAddDevices true or false.

maybe you`ll work smth out.
greetings

#3 2009-05-22 20:09:34

sfauzia

andu wrote:

check for /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors or even warnings.

in my settings:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "DontZap" "false"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
    Option         "AutoAddDevices" "false"

try under server flags those settings AllowEmptyInput false or true and AutoAddDevices true or false.

maybe you`ll work smth out.
greetings

I tried that, but it's still a no-go. Is there anything else I can do? Also, there shouldn't be any conflict with HAL because A) HAL isn't installed and B) this version of Xorg (the antidesktop from the AUR) does not have any of the patches for hotplugging and such.

I really cannot type a word at all when X is running, but it's perfect under the console (again, though, the shortcuts I configured with my acpi handler script and xbindkeys work perfectly; on a side note I've been using Xournal to test the middle-click scrolling, and URxvt and Xournal for the keyboard, both of which I'm opening via some keys configured by xbindkeys). It makes me think I have a problem with my xorg.conf, but I don't really know; perhaps when I recursively uninstalled all the programs that had been dependencies for X server and installed the antidesktop version, I uninstalled some needed dependency...

[edit] I compared the dependencies for xorg-server and xorg-server-antidesktop, and the differences are only in the antidesktop version depending on xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse instead of xf86-input-evdev (and of course, HAL). [/edit]

I just noted a question (and its answer) in the ArchWiki Xorg input hotplugging article:

I configured my mouse and/or keyboard in xorg.conf, but X will not use it
When input hotplugging is enabled, X will purge any devices setup in xorg.conf that are using the kbd and mouse driver.

But how can this be, if I'm using the antidesktop version of xorg where hotplugging isn't even enabled? Très bizarre. My mouse is working perfectly, even the middle-click scrolling.

Here's my Xorg.0.log, where I searched for errors... and there were none, obviously (also searched the old log with the same result).

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "EE"
Current Operating System: Linux [hostname] 2.6.29-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 20 06:42:43 UTC 2009 x86_64
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

Here are some interesting errors I see after running startx and then the ctrl-alt-backspace sequence to return to the console [edit]I think the other "errors" are not errors, and just messages indicative of X shutting down.[/edit].

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to X server
urxvt: X connection to ':0.0' broken, unable to recover, exiting.
easystroke: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ':0.0"
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
        after 459 requests (459 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xinit: connection to X server lost.

According to another forum post the solution to the XKEYBOARD keymap compiler error is to put the following in the xorg.conf:

Option    "XkbOptions"  "lv3:ralt_switch_multikey"

I have done this but my keyboard still does not work. However, that specific error is no longer being generated.

I think this is good news: my caps lock key is working. I can tell as the indicator light for the caps lock turns on. Also, I mapped urxvt opening xev with xbindkeys, and I can see that some events are being generated, but I'm not seeing the individual key codes.

I've even tested plugging in a USB-connected external keyboard, and it works no better than my ThinkPad keyboard (it can only activate the same things). I truly would appreciate some more suggestions... been at this for the past five hours or so, pitifully enough. I also know this is becoming a humongous post, but a forum moderator once informed me that it is preferred to edit posts.

I just tried keeping my xorg.conf as it is, and installing xorg-server instead and my keyboard still didn't work. Curiously enough, xev wouldn't run with xorg-server installed.

I tried running

hwd -xa

and the auto-generated xorg.conf hasn't helped; my keyboard still does not work sad

Last edited by sfauzia (2009-05-23 04:22:32)

#4 2009-05-23 02:45:28

sfauzia

I really am desolate. I do not want to use the xorg-server package as HAL, as Easystroke is slower with it (I'm a tablet PC user) and faster than ever with the xorg-server-antidesktop package. If someone could please shed some light on this issue, I would truly appreciate it.

[edit] Even though I have closed this topic and decided to use HAL, if there was an actual solution that enabled the continued use of the xorg.conf, please post it so that we all can be better informed. Thanks. [/edit]

Last edited by sfauzia (2009-05-23 04:48:03)

Board footer