You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-24 19:05:23

CRasH180

Logitech Z-10 Speakers With No Sound

I installed Archlinux 9.02 along with KDEv4.2.3 and the needed software for the Logitech Z-10 speakers, libg15render, libg15, G15 Render, G15 Composer, and any required dependencies. After attaching the USB cable to the computer, and restarting a few times for various reasons, I still have no sound. Opened Multimedia Settings in System Settings and set the Z-10 speakers to the Preferred setting. When attempting to test the audio, I received the following error message:

Notification from Phonon: KDE's Multimedia Library

The audio playback device Logitech Z-10 USB Speaker (USB Audio) does not work.
Falling back to .

Actually, I receive this type of error message on all of the outputs, Internal Speaker and NVidia nForce 2.

The g15daemon is set to launch as a Daemon in the /etc/rc.conf upon start of KDE, but it is still not working. Is there anyone that can assist me with this?

Thank you for the assistance,

CRasH180

Last edited by CRasH180 (2009-05-25 07:35:22)

#2 2009-05-25 07:34:48

CRasH180

Re: Logitech Z-10 Speakers With No Sound

I have been searching the net for a guide to simply install the Z-10 speakers on a computer. However, I have been unable to find such a post anywhere. After attempting numerous settings, it is still not working and am receiving the saem error message. If there is a way to get this working, I would like to write a post for other people to know how to do this. Unfortunately, each system is different.

Thank you for your assistance in advance,

CRasH180

#3 2009-05-26 04:44:40

shazeal

Hey,

I have my Z-10 Speakers working fine under both Gentoo x86, and Arch Linux x86_64. The Arch 64 install is fresh and I didnt have to do a thing to get them working, installed arch/kde/alsa, using standard arch kernel no configuration changes.

The g15 stuff is not nessasary to get the sound working. KDE phonon is pretty junk also, have you just tried playing sound through something like mplayer/smplayer and choosing the Z-10 Alsa device as output?

The best solution however is just to use your onboard sound and jack its output into the back of the z-10 speakers and set the onboard sound as the primary ALSA device. You can then use KMIX to control the volume of your onboard sound, and the z-10 speakers (to adjust the actual speaker volume) seperately.

#4 2009-05-26 19:33:41

shazeal

Heres the config from my gentoo machine which uses the Onboard sound, and just uses the Z-10 as speakers.

from end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=2
options snd-hda-intel index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1

This just sets the onboard sound as primary so change snd-hda-intel to whatever your actual sound card is.

You can now control the volume via 'alsamixer -c 0' or 'alsamixer -C 1', I usually just set the speakers once then use the sound card volume to adjust from then on ~70% on the speakers seemed the sweet spot for me.
KMix/Gnome will allow you to select the volumes easier.

Setting up the keys was a bit of a pita so I ended up just using some shortcuts on the normal keyboard, you could try the keytouch program though, pretty sure pacman will pull it down.

Board footer