You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-27 03:32:40

LordLandon

usb-rndis-lite AKA use-your-phone-internets-on-your-laptop-thingy

So, after a bit of pain, and without a guide to turn to, I managed to get my phone's internet connection shared with my brand new arch install - so I figured this post might be useful to somebody who was as stuck as I was.

Getyer rndis here.
Installation is easy, we've got all the prereqs we need

tar xzf usb-rndis-lite-0.11.tar.gz
cd usb-rndis-lite-0.11/
make
sudo ./clean.sh
sudo make install
cd ..

Run IntShrUI on your winmo phone (it might be hiding in \Windows on the phone, like it was on mine - but make a shortcut if you'll use it often!)
Press connect, and connect your phone to your computer.
Here's where I started having the most problems, you need to bring up the new network device with

ifconfig rndis0 up

However, dhcpcd didn't manage to figure out what it's supposed to do with it, giving me

dhcpcd: rndis0: broadcasting for a lease
dhcpcd: rndis0: offered 169.254.2.1 from 169.254.2.2
dhcpcd: rndis0: NAK: (null) from 169.254.2.2

(repeated til it got bored and timed out)
So, here's the last step:

!#/bin/bash
ifconfig rndis0  169.254.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add 169.254.2.2 rndis0
route add default gw 169.254.2.2
echo nameserver 169.254.2.2 >> /etc/resolv.conf

Throw that into a script, phoneinternets.sh, chmod +x, and run anytime after connecting your phone for instant internets!

(DISCLAIMER: The above information was gathered from personal experimentation using a Motorola Q9C, and an eee 701. Results with other devices may vary, especially the IPs you need, watch out for those. This script does that magically give you free internets - make sure your PhonePlan includes internets in the first place before using. You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.)

Last edited by LordLandon (2009-05-27 03:34:02)

Board footer