You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 23:03:34

vinoman2
Website

Trouble with installer

I'm trying out your new Archiso live CD. I've tried partitioning my hdd many different ways and every time I get errors. Here's the last one.

umount: /tmpfs: not found
umount: /tmpfs/mnt/loop0: not found
umount: /tmp: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
umount: /tmp/install: device is busy.

I've never had this much trouble installing a distro and I've installed at least 10 of them. Why is Arch so difficult? I tried to make a sda1 / partition and a /home partition. and a swap. but Gparted doesn't like any of them. I give up. What am I doing wrong?

#2 2009-05-26 00:27:39

karol
Archivist

Re: Trouble with installer

Can you please try the regular Arch iso?

#3 2009-05-26 05:07:36

Statix

What do you mean about gparted not liking any of them? Are you making the partitions with gparted and then trying to use them on the arch installer, or do you mean gparted won't recognize the partitions made by the arch installer?

The best way to install imo is to make the partitions before you run /arch/setup using cfdisk. Making them before with gparted would have the same effect as well. After that just go through the "Set filesystem mountpoints" menu in the partitioning category in /arch/setup.

No idea what would cause those errors specifically as I've never seen them. I can only suggest you try the above and we'll see what you get. I don't see this as necessarily something that you did wrong, as those errors are really weird - could be the install cd or something not working as it should. Either way we can help you out but not if you give up!

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#4 2009-05-26 14:36:54

vinoman2
Website

I've got a friend coming over next week. He's very good with Linux in general, but hasn't used Arch. I'll try using the regular Arch this time. The beginners guide is confusing and I couldn't figure it out. Maybe he can. The beginners guide needs to be more step by step with out all the options. I have built Debian with out a window manger and then adding all the components and got it to work well, I figure Arch would be similar.

I did use Gparted from the Archiso live CD. I think part of the problem is I was trying to install on an older 40gb ATA hdd which should read as hda1 but the Gparted kept seeing it as sda1. The Intel board can handle ATA and SATA.

What do you think?

#5 2009-05-26 14:52:11

karol
Archivist

If Gparted uses libata then 'hda' becomes 'sda' IIRC.
Could you please specify which part of Beginners Guide did you find confusing? Did you managed to install Arch? If not, how far did you managed to go through the Guide?

#6 2009-05-26 15:19:25

vinoman2
Website

karol wrote:

If Gparted uses libata then 'hda' becomes 'sda' IIRC.
Could you please specify which part of Beginners Guide did you find confusing? Did you managed to install Arch? If not, how far did you managed to go through the Guide?

At this point the hdd is wiped clean to start over. I did install the real Arch and was able to login, but I think I was missing parts of it.
As far as the Beginners guide goes, it gives so many options that you don't know where to begin. A guide like that needs to have an option where it installs a partition table for you and installs Arch on it. All the options should be in a separate area. I know you all think it's best to set up the partitions first, I tried that many times and it still didn't like what I set up. I set up a / partion as ext and a /home partion and a swap. I've done this for other distros and they all worked. Maybe the partition editor in the live CD needs to be rebuilt.  The guide probably has every thing that is needed but a bit of reformatting would make it easier to understand.

I appreciate the help and hope to get it installed this week (using the real ver. 2009.2) with a little more help with the installer.

Thanks smile

#7 2009-05-26 15:26:34

karol
Archivist

vinoman2 wrote:

I did install the real Arch and was able to login, but I think I was missing parts of it.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
You definitely were missing parts of it ...

Last edited by karol (2009-05-26 15:28:17)

#8 2009-05-26 23:40:58

vinoman2
Website

I'm starting over and this time it's really installing... once it's installed do I have to open every file on the list and look at them even though I may not know what else to do with it? I'm installing via ftp and I know that the internet connection is working.
How do I get xfce4 and things like firefox installed?

#9 2009-05-26 23:51:09

vinoman2
Website

It's now installed. I created a user name and password with adduser, but I wasn't sure about all the options I just created my username:  davek and a password and skipped all the rest.

I tried to install: # pacman -S alsa-utils and I get: not found in sync db. How do I change the db?

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-05-27 00:00:48)

#10 2009-05-26 23:54:40

rusty99

Like now? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … tup_groups

Just work your way through http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide It's well laid out and offers some very useful advice.

#11 2009-05-27 00:08:24

vinoman2
Website

rusty99 wrote:

Like now? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … tup_groups

Just work your way through http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide It's well laid out and offers some very useful advice.

Do I have to edit all the files even though I don't know what would need editing? I only set up a user not a group. why would I need a group?

I got Arch installed. but now after creating user name and password and su back to root, I try to install libgl and I get this:

# pacman -S libgl
...package not found searching for group...error 'libgl' not found it sync db

how do I correct this?

#12 2009-05-27 00:10:28

vinoman2
Website

So I should delete that user and do it with this command first?

# useradd -m -G users,audio,lp,optical,storage,video,wheel,power -s /bin/bash archie

#13 2009-05-27 01:02:38

rusty99

A user needs to be added to groups to get permissions to run services. This way on a multi user box you can permit/restrict certain features that you may or may not want people using.
If your user isn't added to any groups there won't be much he can do on the system smile

I would run (as root) userdel -r *whatever username you used*
then useradd -m -G users,audio,lp,optical,storage,video,wheel,power -s /bin/bash *chosen username*
and then set that users password.

The main config file you'll want to look over is /etc/rc.conf, check your network settings and check/set your hostname which you'll need to add to /etc/hosts if you haven't done so, ie
My hostname is 'Zen' so my /etc/hosts looks like 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    localhost    Zen

Regarding pacman, first off try ping -c 3 www.google.com, If it pings fine then run pacman -Syy.
If that all returns ok then try grabbing libgl again.

#14 2009-05-27 01:30:55

vinoman2
Website

Wow! it worked!! I think I'm in. I'll go done the list to start installing packages. I'll go through the list for the proper order.

#15 2009-05-27 01:38:53

vinoman2
Website

I messed up my regular user name, it wouldn't take the password I gave it. How do I reset it?
I can only log in as root, but I was able to do:
# su - yourusername
$ alsamixer
and get the alsamixer up to unmute

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-05-27 01:41:58)

#16 2009-05-27 01:54:05

phil90

Hello

If you do passwd "username" as root it will ask you to change the password for the user.

So you can set it to something else.

Last edited by phil90 (2009-05-27 01:55:26)

#17 2009-05-27 02:09:41

vinoman2
Website

I got some more files installed like xorg and others, but I still can't get sound and the x won't show up when I try to get x to work.

At least I'm getting closer smile

#18 2009-05-27 02:13:43

vinoman2
Website

phil90 wrote:

Hello

If you do passwd "username" as root it will ask you to change the password for the user.

So you can set it to something else.

Thanks, now that is fixed. I'll work on getting X and sound working tomorrow.

#19 2009-05-27 10:39:32

karol
Archivist

Did you fix you "not found it sync db" error?

#20 2009-05-27 12:02:48

vinoman2
Website

karol wrote:

Did you fix you "not found it sync db" error?

Yes, I've downloaded many packages. I just have to get the video and audio to work.

Board footer