You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-08 03:09:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

ECC ram versus non-ECC

If the system uses registered ECC ram, can replacement of the ram with non-ECC ram result in an operable system?

The opposite arrangement is known to be unusable.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-12-08 18:46:52

FUBAR
Website

Re: ECC ram versus non-ECC

If the system supports non-ECC it will work. Depends on the mainboard. What mainboard is it?

Serverboards usually require ECC memory to work.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2004-12-08 19:12:32

lilsirecho
Veteran

fubar;

Was aware that server boards require ECC but was not certain if non-ECC would function not having the means to error-check.

The full understanding of the difference as far as a given motherboard is concerned is elusive.  Some systems allow either but provide bios change to enable them.

This query is based on the Dell server 1550 board.  The full sized ram possible is 2GB.  That costs over $500 for ECC registered.

It would seem that if ECC were provided on the board that parity checks on memory would always pass if no parity chips were provided to "feed" the ECC check....a simpleton's appraisal of the process!!!!!

I find no reference to using non-ecc in a system setup for ECC.

My athlon uses non-ecc and will not run with ECC and has no provision for bios changes.  The Dell server as far as I know does not have bios entry for non-ecc ram.

Perhaps there is a way to "cheat the system"?

Doesn't hurt to ask!!!

When is a zero always equal to a one?   Answer anyone?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2004-12-08 19:38:52

FUBAR
Website

I did a quick Google-search and found this:

512MB MODULE FOR DELL POWEREDGE 1550 - KTD-PE1550/512. I asume you are talking about a Dell PowerEdge 1550. The RAM for the server looks like ordinary SDRAM.

I can't find any info on Dell.com about the PowerEdge 1550 tho.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2005-12-03 00:22:31

lazychris2000

I just got a PE1550, and no, it does not support non-ECC ram....my best advise is ebay.  make sure you buy it from a guy with a very high feedback rating (that is also at or very near 100% positive).  ECC ram is incredibly expensive otherwise.... :?

btw, if you go to http://support.dell.com you can put in your service tag number and get access to all the documentation....you can also find out the original system config if necessary

good luck....its a good system once you get it running[/url]

Arch .7.1, 2.6.15, 1024 MB PC2700, Athlon XP 2600+, Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5700 256MB

Compaq Armada E500--Arch .7.1, 2.6.14, 256MB PC100, 900MHz PIII, Netgear WG511T

Board footer