You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-26 14:04:58

Vryali

HP DV6500 Laptop - Not able to get sound working properly.

I had this running arch fine about a year ago, I just recently reinstalled Arch and everything is good except for the sound card, which is giving me fits.  What I would be used to seeing in say, amixer, would be PCM, Front Center etc etc, now it only shows PC Speaker, BAseFRQ, and Master.  Initially it would play sounds but made an -awful- screeching sound, after some tweaking and trying to follow some things on the wiki it just makes the screeching sound now and doesn't ever play the sound.

Running alsaconf does come up with hda-intel, Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller, which sounds right, but it just doesn't seem to work properly.

Rather than flood the initial post with what may or may not be entirely useless information, if anyone can give me some commands to run to get any information that would help I'd appreciate it.

#2 2009-05-28 12:51:40

Vryali

Re: HP DV6500 Laptop - Not able to get sound working properly.

This mostly resolved itself, I'm not really sure how, but everything works -except- the screeching sound persists right as KDE starts up.  After I log in and the desktop is actually loading it screeches for about 5-10 seconds right up until it finishes loading KDE.  aplay and the KDE version of it (alsa_player?) both play fine, as do webpages in firefox, so I'm not sure why the sound persists when KDE opens (which is the only place I've found it to persist so far).  I'm using Chakra, as well, if that helps :x

Thanks D:

#3 2009-05-28 13:00:25

kensai
Website

Re: HP DV6500 Laptop - Not able to get sound working properly.

Vryali wrote:

I'm using Chakra, as well, if that helps :x

Thanks D:

Actually, that bit of information is the most important, remember you will help the Chakra project, and help yourself asking in their forums, they might just get the click on what is going on, or if this is a known issue. Even though we support community projects to be created, is not that easy to give support to users of community projects, as they might have introduced a change that makes it all behave differently.

My only advice would be to put "!snd_pcsp" (without quotes) in the MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Board footer