You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-28 20:41:31

virati

Unwanted Modules Keep Loading

I've decided to go through the 'speed up your boot' process and edit my rc.sysinit, rc.conf and initramfs as described in:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Twe … _boot_time
And the general speedup boot Wiki article

For some strange reason, even after  MOD_AUTOLOAD="off" in rc.conf, deletion of udev hook, etc. etc. I'm getting what looks to be automatic module loading.

I'm trying frantically to find out where that could possibly be happening. I did edit the /lib/udev/load-modules.sh to the bare minimum (as described in the first article) but that should only get rid of blacklisting ability, it shouldn't suddenly be loading modules that are NOT in my MODULES=(...) list

Where are these modules coming from? The ones I'm trying to get rid of are tvtuner modules. There is NOTHING in my rc.conf that alludes to my tvtuner and nothing in my /etc/modules that does either.

GAH!

#2 2009-05-28 21:36:33

bender02

Re: Unwanted Modules Keep Loading

If you use initramfs (which you have to if you use the default kernel), then the modules might be loaded as early as from there. If this is the case, remove the modules and [EDIT: optionally have a look at /etc/mkinitcpio.conf] and rebuild you initramfs (mkinitcpio -p kernel26).

Last edited by bender02 (2009-05-28 21:43:24)

#3 2009-05-28 23:48:42

virati

Re: Unwanted Modules Keep Loading

bender02 wrote:

If you use initramfs (which you have to if you use the default kernel), then the modules might be loaded as early as from there. If this is the case, remove the modules and [EDIT: optionally have a look at /etc/mkinitcpio.conf] and rebuild you initramfs (mkinitcpio -p kernel26).

I reverted my /lib/udev/load-modules.sh back to what it was before and somehow it 'fixed' it? According to everything I've seen, load-modules.sh should only really be effective if you have MOD_AUTOLOAD="on".

I've got MOD_AUTOLOAD="off" but the contents of load-modules.sh still matter apparently... I'm confused... I'd still like to shorten my load-modules.sh to what the first link has (no support for blacklisting, but I'm manually loading my modules anyways...) but I guess I can like with this...

Board footer