You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 16:02:54

WyoPBS
Website

Scroll wheel broken in new X [solved]

I installed a full system update this weekend (2009-03-26) and X stopped working.  I found the evdev faq and found out how to add hal to my startup daemons and evdev to my startup modules; eventually got to the point where X would not exactly freeze up but the mouse cursor moves randomly and activates various button events randomly, and the keyboard displays gibberish in a terminal.

So fine, after two days of this I went back to non-evdev operation with the AutoAddDevices Off server flag, and now everything is back to normal.

EXCEPT... the scroll wheel no longer works.  It's a cheap generic PS/2 mouse that has been working fine for years.  The buttons all work, the cursor itself moves correctly, just the scroll wheel stopped working.  Nothing changed in the mouse config section; ZAxisMapping still says "4 5 6 7" as it always did.  There is no horizontal scroll, but that never was a problem before.

Has anyone else seen a recent failure of the scroll wheel?  I never realized how much I depend on it until it stopped working!

pbs

Last edited by WyoPBS (2009-05-29 17:51:54)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2009-03-30 16:44:21

Pelikan

Re: Scroll wheel broken in new X [solved]

Yes, my mouse wheel also stopped working (simple Logitech USB/PS/2 mouse).
It works perfektly fine when using just startx or slim but not when using gdm or kdm. When using the latter the wheel buttons are always mapped to 6 and 7, but it ts only a 5 button mouse.

For now i'm using slim.
Try that, maybe it will work for you too.

Last edited by Pelikan (2009-03-30 16:45:32)

#3 2009-05-29 17:51:34

WyoPBS
Website

Re: Scroll wheel broken in new X [solved]

Found the problem.  For years the mouse portion of my xorg.conf said
protocol    PS/2

... as noted previously, that always worked, including scroll wheel usage.  But a little hunting turned up the advice to change it to IMPS/2 and now it works again.  For the record, the complete entry now says:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Maus"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "CorePointer"
    Option        "Buttons"    "5"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer