You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 09:59:15

GSF1200S

System hangs only on reboot before bios

Arch has been awesome on this machine, bar this one inconvienience-

Pre-info: I use KDEmod legacy, latest updates, etc

If I select restart from KDE, or killall xinit and sudo reboot, the system will 8/10 times hang right before the bios screen is supposed to appear. Ive read this could be a bios issue, but fedora, zenwalk, ubuntu, and opensuse has never had this issue.

Im fairly sure its right before the bios should load, as Shutdown or sudo shutdown -h now works everytime to actually turn off the machine.

I took a look at dmesg and didnt see anything out of the ordinary, of course with init not even started yet, I would imagine it wouldnt show anything. All the filesystems seem to indicate they were cleanly shutdown, so I dont think its in the shutdown process.

The part that really confuses me is that 2/10 times, it actually WILL reboot just fine, which strikes me odd. Anyone have any ideas on what it is? Obviously a stab at a solution would be nice, but I would like to know whats causing it regardless... Let me know if you need any logs, etc..

If all else fails, Ill just reinstall- its easy enough and quite fun..

#2 2008-12-24 14:07:26

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: System hangs only on reboot before bios

And by right before the bios screen you mean while arch is still shutting down or when the pc should be doing everything from the start as in a cold boot?

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2008-12-24 14:24:01

xxxspuddy

Are you using any kind of CPU frequency scaling, e.g using cpufreq?  I had a similar issue, if the CPU frequency wasn't set to max I would have to powercycle the box to bring it back to life, but that was a few kernels ago...2.6.25 I think.

A temporary file is just a pipe with an attitude and a will to live.

#4 2008-12-25 15:32:02

GSF1200S

xxxspuddy wrote:

Are you using any kind of CPU frequency scaling, e.g using cpufreq?  I had a similar issue, if the CPU frequency wasn't set to max I would have to powercycle the box to bring it back to life, but that was a few kernels ago...2.6.25 I think.

Thank you very much for this- My box is doing exactly the same thing now as a result of cpufreq. The below fix took care of the problem. Dirty but it works...

In the future, for anyone else who may have this issue, you can edit /etc/rc.local.shutdown to include cpufreq commands. For example, mine looks like this:

/etc/rc.local.shutdown

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local.shutdown: Local shutdown script.
#
cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance && cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance

Of course if you only have one core, you would omit the && and anything beyond.

When the computer comes up on the boot process, it checks /etc/conf.d/cpufreq and sets the policy to whatever governor youve selected.

Last edited by GSF1200S (2008-12-25 15:33:57)

#5 2009-01-24 12:39:27

headhunter242

I had the same behaviour on my Thinkpad T60.
After more than one month finally I've just found a solution.
I have to remove the module ath_pci before rebooting. Don't know why but it really works!
So I've added this line to the /etc/rc.local.shutdown file

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local.shutdown: Local shutdown script.
#
rmmod ath_pci

Hope this one can help someone else!

Dario

#6 2009-05-30 08:15:34

leeyee

OMG, I have the same problem on thinkpad T400, I was thinking it's BIOS or hardware problem, now I'm totally sure it's related to Arch linux only, because other distros don't have this. I will try you guys gave as soon as I get back to laptop.

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

Board footer