You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-30 04:18:07

brando56894

[Solved] ALSA Wont Play If More Than One Device Has Access To It

This just started happening about two weeks ago and its really annoying. It seems that whenever one program has previously used the sound system no other applications can use the sound system until that initial program is closed. For example, lets say I watched a video on youtube an hour ago and the video is done playing but I still have the page open, amarok (v1.4) or a video player (smplayer/kaffeine/etc...) complains either that xine is in use of it cant find drivers for it or something of that sort. It gets even weirder:I was watching a video on the internet about 2 hours ago and wanted to watch a movie so I closed firefox knowing it would cause this problem and clicked 'save session and quit', I reopened firefox with the same session but I closed the webpage with the video on it, so I go to watch a tv off of my hdd but I dont have any sound since this video apparently still has a lease on the sound system.

heres the errors from mplayer while this problem is happening:

[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1325:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
[JACK] cannot open server
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 48000Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1325:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device

Last edited by brando56894 (2009-05-30 23:51:43)

#2 2009-05-30 10:11:17

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] ALSA Wont Play If More Than One Device Has Access To It

#3 2009-05-30 23:51:30

brando56894

Re: [Solved] ALSA Wont Play If More Than One Device Has Access To It

yea the second link did thanks. apparently i installed the alsa-oss package when i have no need for it and thats what was screwing things up

Board footer