You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-15 12:35:21

Julius2
Website

Freezing

I didn't know exactly where to put this, but I figured this was my best bet.

Seemingly randomly, my Arch freezes. My mouse will not move and I can't switch to tty1, so the keyboard also seems to be locked. I had blamed this on xfce, except for one thing I noticed - when I close the lid, the display does not turn off, which means the acpi daemon must not be working.

I'm a wit's end - it took me 3 tries to write this because of the freezing, and I need any ideas you have.

Stats (if it helps):

Laptop running Arch64.
DM: xfce

Blog .:. AUR .:. Wiki Contributions
Registered Linux User #506070.

#2 2009-05-15 23:53:27

bradbajuz
Website

Re: Freezing

What hardware are you running Arch 64 on?  I've been having the same issues as you.  I'm thinking it has something to do with my wireless on my Thinkpad.  I'm using madwifi, wpa_supplicant, wicd combination.  I dual boot Arch 64 and Windows 7 with Arch 64 being my main OS and a week ago I was experienced the same issues but within Windows 7.  I resolved the issue in Windows 7 by updating my wireless, ethernet, and graphic drivers.  The interesting thing is that I just went to Xfce4 lastnight from Awesome3 and didn't have the freezing issue before the switch.  So, I'm still investigating.

When you reboot through Xfce instead of from the command prompt, does your computer freeze in the rebooting process?

-Brad

Last edited by bradbajuz (2009-05-16 00:32:08)

#3 2009-05-16 00:00:38

Procyon

What video card do you have?

#4 2009-05-28 14:29:37

sluggo
Website

i would like to third that, running arch64 with lxde/openbox on a mac mini (not a laptop but as i suspect the problem lies with the driver i hope i wont get slapped for posting here),
also using the madwifi, wpa_supplicant, wicd combination, and i do think thats where the problem resides as i manually start wicd and it only freezes after i start, although not instantly but after an arbitrary amount of time..
dont think its wicd though, ive tried killing it after connecting to my wlan and it still freezes at some point.
@bradbajuz ive got the same problem when rebooting..

madwifi 0.9.4.3952-1
wpa_supplicant 0.6.9-1
wicd 1.5.9-1

edit:
googled in and didnt see that it was posted in the laptop-section till after posting.

Last edited by sluggo (2009-05-28 14:52:32)

// sluggo

#5 2009-05-30 21:46:01

bradbajuz
Website

@sluggo
I think wicd isn't the problem at all either.  I get kernel panics and I believe it is because of madwifi.  I researched the issue a little bit a few weeks ago and I think it is a bug with madwifi; unforntunitly I don't have sufficent proof since I don't remember where I found the information.  I'll try and see if I can find this information again and also narrow down the kernel panics I've been having so that I can post a more exact cause to this phenomenon.

I did figure out why my computer was freezing when rebooting and it had to do with my user account not being part of the shutdown group: 
# gpasswd -a USER power

I thought I had did this previously but overlooked it and figured it out in the toubleshooting process.  If this is the case for you, make sure HAL and DBUS are enabled too.

-Brad

#6 2009-05-30 22:01:53

napsy

I got the exact problem with my arch64 installation on the laptop. The freezes started to appear after I upgraded the system. I think there's something terribly wrong with the kernel or xorg.

Board footer