You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-30 18:09:12

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

cannot get grub-gfx onto my MBR [SOLVED]

I followed the Grub-gfx wiki article and installed grub-gfx.  My system has its own /boot which is on /dev/sda8

In a nutshell, I can't get the grub on my MBR to use a splashimage but I can get the grub on my Arch partition to use one.  When I first boot, the grub on my MBR loads and if I drop to the grub commandline by hitting 'c' and issue the splashimage command, grub tells it doesn't recognize the command at all!  In stark contrast to that, if I enter my Arch's grub via a chainload command, I can use the  splashimage command just find to preview my splashimage at will.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's telling me that the grub on my MBR doesn't support the splashimage command for some reason.  Am I correct in assuming that the grub on my MBR isn't the grub from the grub-gfx package I installed?

AFTER I installed grub-gfx, I installed the gfx-modified grub to my MBR (or so I thought) by opening a shell and doing the following:

# grub
grub> find /grub/stage1
 (hd0,7)

grub> root (hd0,7)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  25 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+25 p (hd0,7)/grub/stage2 /grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

I also tried:

# grub-install /dev/sda

Neither of these seemed to put the grub-gfx into my MBR.  Suggestions are welcomed smile

Last edited by graysky (2009-05-31 10:53:19)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2009-05-31 10:52:47

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: cannot get grub-gfx onto my MBR [SOLVED]

FINALLY... here's what I did to get it working.  After installing the grub-gfx package I mounted my /dev/sda8 to /mnt/boot then install grub.  When I rebooted, I got a Grub error 15.  I then booted w/ my Arch CD, then setup grub as described below.  When I rebooted, I got background images just fine!

# mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/boot
# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

This made a /mnt/boot/grub with all the files.  I moved them to just /mnt/grub then rebooted and got that error.  Now I booted w/ my Arch CD and did the following after logging in as root.

# grub
grub> root (hd0,7)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> exit

That's what got it to work.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer