You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-10 21:57:12

Anonymous1c4

Thunar doesn't work with custom commands as user

I'm running thunar as user and I want to open up an image just to view it using feh. Since feh wasn't listed under the recommended or other application listed, I decided to just type feh in the "use custom command" box. I try opening it and it says "Failed to add new application: Bad Address". So, I unchecked "Use command as default" just for the hell of it and that didn't work either. What's even more weird is I can open it with gimp when select "The GIMP" under the recommended applications list, but when I try opening it with gimp as a custom command, it gives me the same error. I know it's not just images because I've tried the same thing on compressed files when trying to use xarchive. However, all of this works just fine while I'm on root.

Btw, I'm using openbox, not xfce.

#2 2009-05-31 12:53:02

lycurgus

Re: Thunar doesn't work with custom commands as user

i'm a little late on this one, it seems, but maybe i can help someone else.

i encountered the same problem, and at some point during my attempts at working around it, i was informed that i didn't have sufficient permissions for a folder - something like ~/.local/applications or similar. on investigating, the folder was owned by root. changing the folder's owner to user fixed it, and i can add custom commands happily (in fact, feh was my target as well tongue )

to sum up: as root, 'chown -R ~/.local <user>' should fix it.

Board footer