You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-26 13:11:16

UsuRpergoat

[Solved]GRUB error (only shows word GRUB in top left corner after inst

I downloaded the latest ftp install of Arch86x to install on my HP laptop from my flashdrive.  (i have installed Arch once before just like this on this Laptop with no problems)
After I go through all the config files I tell Arch to install GRUB to the MBR on SDA.  It finishes, I exit the installer and type reboot.  I remove my flash drive..   after POST I do NOT see "GRUB loading blah blah blah....."  instead, all it shows is the word GRUB in the top left corner and thats it.  It doesn't proceed any further...  I am not at the GRUB> command line...   there is no cursor.   If I reboot from my Arch Flashdrive goto the More Options menu.lst and edit the "Boot from existing Linux" with (hd1,0) it will proceed to boot into my newly installed Arch.

Any help would be appreciated.

UsuRpergoat

Last edited by UsuRpergoat (2009-06-01 03:26:42)

==================
What better time than now?

#2 2009-05-28 02:10:30

UsuRpergoat

Re: [Solved]GRUB error (only shows word GRUB in top left corner after inst

2 days and nothing?  hmm

==================

#3 2009-05-28 09:39:42

leniviy

just 2 check: Try to boot from HDD, but with the flash drive plugged. If boots, then grub is improperly installed (MBR part of grub is looking for the rest of grub in the wrong place).
Anyway, did you try to do "Boot from existing Linux" and reinstall grub from there? You should be able to even unplug the flash after successful loading.

Last edited by leniviy (2009-05-28 09:40:36)

Arch 64, xfce4

#4 2009-06-01 03:22:26

UsuRpergoat

With the flash drive in but booting from the hard drive it would work...   
i reinstalled grub (never done that before, never needed to), reboot (without flashdrive plugged it) and now a different problem... (system would start to boot and panic)
i then modified fstab and changed all of the uuid entries with /dev/sda#  (i think that was half the problem, but i didn't know how to check the uuid with the /dev/sda#)
rebooted (without flashdrive plugged in) and it worked..
took a lil time but i figured it out..   
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB helped

with patience, i was able to figure things out...  and learn quite a bit in the process, which is all the reason why i chose Arch!

==================

Board footer